Mir and Mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Mir and Mint

Post by KBD47 »

I'm wondering where Mint will land on this topic? Intel doesn't seem interested in supporting it.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/intel-rejection-of-ubuntus-mir-patch-forces-canonical-to-go-own-way/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
js3915

Re: Mir and Mint

Post by js3915 »

KBD47 wrote:I'm wondering where Mint will land on this topic? Intel doesn't seem interested in supporting it.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/intel-rejection-of-ubuntus-mir-patch-forces-canonical-to-go-own-way/
Nvidia and AMD dont support Mir either yet nor do they support wayland... Though im thinking ubuntu is banking on Nvidia and AMD to A get on board or B figure most linux users use the open source nuoveau type drivers...

Obviously the huge question is where does Redhat and Standard Debian sit. Ubuntu might be kinda the generic linux name when someone thinks linux but i think redhat and debian espeically if they both go wayland would really make it hard for Mir in terms of binary drivers from Nvidia and AMD
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Ubuntu appears to be the 'lone ranger' on Mir. Everyone else seems to be going with Wayland. The only question is what the Ubuntu spins will do. Kubuntu has already said Wayland.
Ronshere

Post by Ronshere »

i think mir is here to stay. Ubuntu is creating a universal os that can run on anything and mir is a part of it.
AMD etc will get on board, I am pretty sure because ubuntu looks really good on phones and tablets. Better than
anything else out there.
What bothers me is the new click packages and the way they are starting to keep their development private.
If you extend these actions outward they seem to be heading for a private linux all their own.
Consider that they are now headed by a former Microsoft biggie steeped in EULA''s, patents, DRM's and
the rest of that garbage and I think they have something planned, ala Microsoft's style, up their sleeves.
They could easily crush all the distros built on Ubuntu if they want to.
As for MIR I hope it can be removed and replaced easily by Mint and the other distros.
The linux of the next few years will be radically different from what we are used to no matter what.
Oh, and don't forget Microsoft has a big investment in Ubuntu!!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I have thought for awhile now that Canonical sees themselves as the next Apple.
Valve will be important to watch, AMD and Nvidia are following Valve now on Linux, and my understanding is SteamOS is using X, not Mir, and I don't see them using Mir down the road, but that's Ubuntu's best hope to get interest in Mir IMO.
js3915

Post by js3915 »

KBD47 wrote: have thought for awhile now that Canonical sees themselves as the next Apple.
Coulda told you that when they moved the Close Restore minimize buttons to the left hand side of the Window from the normal upper right ^^

Still think Ubuntu is taking a big gamble with this.. Plus the fact or least so im told and read none of Mir will funnel back to the community. I still find it interesting Kbuntu isnt supporting Mir but using Wayland. Will be interesting to see what SteamOS does.. I dont know if theyre even using Unity desktop.. Some reason i thought they was using kinda their own but im not even 50% sure on that

Return to “Other topics”