How to turn Ubuntu box to Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
orador

How to turn Ubuntu box to Mint

Post by orador »

Hello everybody,
I would like to know, what's the best way to turn my Ubuntu installation to Linux Mint. Shall I just add Elyssa repositories to my sources.list or do something more smooth? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: How to turn Ubuntu box to Mint

Post by Fred »

orador,

Ubuntu and Mint are two different distros. Even though Mint uses Ubuntu repositories and is based on Ubuntu, it is not Ubuntu. It was forked from Ubuntu.

The only way to get a true Mint install is to install Mint. Mint 4 is the current stable release. Mint 5 is in early beta, but isn't considered stable yet.

Fred
orador

Post by orador »

Yeah, I understand that, but basically, Mint differs from Ubuntu in very few details and of course the Mint tools, which are awesome, I think. I guess it's possible to add the repositories and install the Mint packages, so you would in fact have the Mint.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I really DON'T recommend this, I also did this once, but ultimately it resulted in total chaos! :? :|
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
orador

Post by orador »

Well, I think I'll wait for the stable release and then consider switching. In the meantime, I'll install mintUpload, which is the most brialliant mintTool [for me of course], I did that once in Ubuntu Gutsy and it worked perfectly. Thaks to all of you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”