Problems With Partitioning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Problems With Partitioning

Post by Husse »

I should use a Guided - Resize option, but I note its nonexistance
?? (You mean nonexistant)
That option should be there - but it's a long time since I had only Windows and even longer since I had only one partition so I may be wrong
It is the easiest way for a noob
You say the CD is OK but did you check the md5sum and burned slowly?
You see the CD can be bad even if you manage to boot with it
If you did select manual partitioning
Resize your windows partition so you have some 20 GB free. In that area first create a swap partition of one GB (you'll never need more) and then a root partition of say 8 GB and the rest for home.
This seems strange to you now but you'll become a bit more familiar with the concept over time
How, you ask?
I hope resizing the Win partition and creating new ones is fairly straightforward. The thing is how do you make them what you want?
Right click and select Edit partition
Then you find a pull down menu - select swap for the one GB, / for the 8 GB and format to ext3 ( / is the character used for root) and finally /home format to ext3 for the last partition
Sorry for not being absolutely exact I have to take this from memory
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”