Mint over XP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paddy1@rogers.com

Mint over XP

Post by paddy1@rogers.com »

Boot up is only to Mint. No screen to choose mint or XP Cann anyone help please. I installed mint with XP, and selected "guided, use entire disk". I think I might have screwed up. The official user guide doesn't explain how to partition my disk with windows XP installed :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nomad

Re: Mint over XP

Post by Nomad »

That selection would have erased Windows XP. You would want to use the one that lets you pick a percentage of the Disc. And thanks for the note about the User Guide. Good thing to add.
Last edited by Nomad on Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Yeah, since you chose guided you basically installed right over XP from the sound of it. If you do re-install XP make sure you set up partitions next time. You can use gparted from the Mint live cd to create and edit partitions before and after OS installations. Let us know if you need any help.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I really believe it is more understandable to do partitioning and and installation in two distinct steps instead of doing it all at the same time.

I would suggest you download and burn the latest stable version of the Gparted live iso cd. Use that to shrink your XP install if necessary and partition your hard drive.

Then do the install from the Mint live iso cd. When you get to the partitioning part select manual and assign the mount points from the list given and proceed from there.

Be sure to install XP first, on the first primary partition. Then install Mint.

That is the way I would do it.

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I've often thought about how installing Linux can be dumbed down even more, because I can certainly see how this happens. I had a conversation with my father recently where he asked me how can he reply to everyone in an email message. I chuckled a little as I told him to press the "reply to all" button. If Linux is ever going to really hit the big time I think it's going to have come pre-installed on more PC's. Partitioning and installation are just too hard for the average PC user. I of course am saying this in general, and not towards the original poster in this thread.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Lantesh,

I think there is much truth in what you said, but for a different reason than you imply. I don't think basic partitioning is difficult to learn, But it is something that has to be learned. Therein lies the problem. Many/most Windows users aren't willing to try to learn anything before attempting a Linux install. They expect to be able to automagicly be able to do a dual boot Linux/XP install, even though most have never even done a successful Windows only install. Then they say Linux is for geeks and is too hard. Where is the logic here? Installing an OS, any OS, is not a simple cut and dried task. It requires some knowledge. It is not like slipping a cd drive in the bay and plugging up the cable.

End of rant. :-)

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

That is a valid distinction Fred. You are correct in that yes probably most users simply aren't willing to take the time to learn. Especially here in the United States where I live I find that most people want instant gratification, without any effort. That is why Windows is King of the Hill. Honestly though I don't have a problem with this. I'd be perfectly happy if Linux never passed about 15% market share. That would be enough for it to survive with major industry wide support, and perhaps have a small enough user base that the security remains top notch. I suppose I have this fear that if Linux is made any easier for the masses, that our security is going to go right out the window.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Partitioning is clearly explained in the Daryna User Guide. Page 18 and forward.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Post by Guest »

check the Ubuntu Help section
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
This worked for me
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

This appears to be a distinct advantage to Wubi.

Return to “Installation & Boot”