I cannot turn off my laptop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Merdad

I cannot turn off my laptop

Post by Merdad »

Here's what happened:
Everything was OK till the day KDE's sound indicator (in system tray) disappeared randomly; And after a while permanently! I don't have sound indicator in system tray now; It's gone! Somehow weird but due to this issue, I cannot turn off my computer. Neither restart nor log out. There is absolutely no reaction when I click on them.

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/2wdzup2.png[/img]

Googled the problem a little and got this command:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -h now
Which fortunately still works

IN CASE MAYBE HELPS:
- I didn't have such problem before.
- sudo shutdown -h now only and only works with its h. Without h, its useless.
- After sound indicator, a little program (I forgot its name, but it was for clipboard) started behave the same. Now it's gone too.
- I also upgraded KDE 4.08 to 4.11.1 (I had the thought it might be a bug or something).

Now, what should I do about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
J_C

Re: I cannot turn off my laptop

Post by J_C »

I had a couple of issues with some widgets after a KDE update. I fixed them by removing them from the panel and then adding them again.

I imagine removing the whole panel then adding a new default panel would have the same effect.
Merdad

Post by Merdad »

J_C wrote:I had a couple of issues with some widgets after a KDE update. I fixed them by removing them from the panel and then adding them again.

I imagine removing the whole panel then adding a new default panel would have the same effect.
Did that once, it's my second panel.
You know, the problem is KDE refuses to turn the machine off even when I click on Shutdown in KickOff - or from the menu at the edge, top-right of the screen.
741cc

Post by 741cc »

Strange one. Try:
1. $ sudo halt
2. Hold down Alt + PrtSc (to the right of F12) and hit R-E-I-S-U-O

Return to “Software & Applications”