Software Manager freezes..

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Blue42

Software Manager freezes..

Post by Blue42 »

I am running linux mint 13 kde 32-bit, and just recently I have noticed some pretty bad errors in my mint installer. The very first thing I notice is that when it first comes up, only the picture for "all applications" comes up. Then when I do a search and I try to select a program to get more information the installer completely freezes up. I have seen people post about the problem when it freezez during the typing of the search que but this is a different situation. It works fine when I search, then when I try to select the program to view the information it freezes. This is kinda a show stopper as I cannot install the programs I desire.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Software Manager freezes..

Post by kukamuumuka »

The new softwaremanager is a bit heavy when comparing to old and good gnome-app-install system .. :?
Blue42

Post by Blue42 »

administrollaattori wrote:The new softwaremanager is a bit heavy when comparing to old and good gnome-app-install system .. :?
But here is the thing, when I recreate the issue splash.py is a zombie and the parent process might run 1 percent CPU load.
Blue42

Post by Blue42 »

Still no progress. I have done a purge of mintinstall with aptidude, restarted, updated, restarted, reinstalled. I dont get it. How do I install another version of mintinstall?
Blue42

Post by Blue42 »

This is the readout I get when I run it in terminal.

blue42@Zion ~ $ mintinstall
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:254: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:262: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 3.300 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.571 ms
add_packages took 2037.637 ms
add_reviews took 1135.089 ms
__init__ took 3287.349 ms
_register_active_transactions_watch :1.79
show_category took 7.258 ms
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 786, in show_package_if_apt_cached
self.show_package(pkg, tree)
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 48, in wrapper
res = func(*arg)
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 1440, in show_package
subs['iconbig'] = self.find_large_app_icon(package)
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 1327, in find_large_app_icon
return iconInfo.get_filename()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_filename'
_register_active_transactions_watch
_register_active_transactions_watch :1.83
Blue42

Post by Blue42 »

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Blue32.

About to suggest a workaround ...

I cannot help much with Software Manager on Mint 15, because
+ there is only Mint 13 (LTS) and Mint 14 here
+ I prefer Synaptic package manager over any other installation/updating software.

So I would like to suggest to give Synaptic package manager a try. Unless it should exhibit the same kind of misbehaviour as Software Manager, it should enable you to install any software available from
+ the Mint repository
+ the Ubuntu repositories
+ any PPA that has been added correctly.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Blue42

Post by Blue42 »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Blue32.

About to suggest a workaround ...

I cannot help much with Software Manager on Mint 15, because
+ there is only Mint 13 (LTS) and Mint 14 here
+ I prefer Synaptic package manager over any other installation/updating software.

So I would like to suggest to give Synaptic package manager a try. Unless it should exhibit the same kind of misbehaviour as Software Manager, it should enable you to install any software available from
+ the Mint repository
+ the Ubuntu repositories
+ any PPA that has been added correctly.

Kind regards,
Karl

Thanks for the good info :D I actually use Mint 13. I have started using the Muon package manager, I just dont get why it didnt get fixed when I uninstalled and reinstalled..

Return to “Software & Applications”