Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uhgreen

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by uhgreen »

altair4 wrote: There's a couple of ways to view this. This should be fixed by cups developers not Ubuntu developers but if you are going to have it fixed by an Ubuntu developer then it's not up to Till if he wants to fix it. It's up to whatever adult is in charge of this to determine if Till fixes it it or not. And if not why not. And if you have no intention of fixing it then don't call it an LTS. In any event it's not fixed to this day. I have a workaround for this particular bug but it should not be up to the user to fix this.
I think differently about this. I don't think Linux, not even Ubuntu, should be an operating system where the end-users just click a gui icon to update their computer and don't have to think about anything. Sometimes the end-user is going to have to get their hands dirty. If that prevents the public at large from using Linux then, in my view, so be it.

Let the people who want everything to be automated use Apple products. If you want to use Linux then I don't think you should expect hand-holding and developers solving everything for you.

This is just my opinion though, which might be in the minority.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

eiver wrote:Upgrading IS necessary - older releases though supported do not have the latest apps in their repos. Windows XP is 11 years old and it is not supported anymore - that still does not prevent me from installing the latest VLC 2.0.4. On the other hand I cannot easily install the latest VLC on the still suppored LM9, because it is still in version 1.0.6 in the repos.
+++
The whole idea is rotten. What is even worse, there is no way to roll-back and the package upgrades are not tested enough. If there is not enough resources (people) to do proper testing, then there must be a good rollback mechanism, so that people won't have to sit around with a Clonezilla CD all the time.
Oh well,
I did it a few times. and worked!!!
read these
http://fuduntu.org/wiki/index.php/Recov ... _or_Update

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2 ... -undo-new/
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

uhgreen wrote:I think differently about this. I don't think Linux, not even Ubuntu, should be an operating system where the end-users just click a gui icon to update their computer and don't have to think about anything. Sometimes the end-user is going to have to get their hands dirty. If that prevents the public at large from using Linux then, in my view, so be it.

Let the people who want everything to be automated use Apple products. If you want to use Linux then I don't think you should expect hand-holding and developers solving everything for you.

This is just my opinion though, which might be in the minority.
Your post perfectly answers the question posed by the original post. Is a particular user using Linux as a hobby or as a platform to get something done?

My wife is a professional software developer ( yes, girls can be programmers ) and would never consider using Linux because she has deadlines to meet. At the moment all of her development environments run on OSX so that is her platform of choice. Others may turn to Linux because of a dislike of Windows or lack of funds for OSX or because they want to learn about Linux.

I started Linux with SuSE 6.1 and I knew at the time it was going to be a learning experience and for me it was clearly a hobby since Windows was the platform I used to get things done. Linux has become more predictable ( note that I am talking about predictability not stability ) over time until recently. And over that time Linux moved from a being a hobby to a platform for me but it's becoming tedious.

History would suggest that "Linux" favors a user like you rather than a user like me or at the extreme a user that expects it to be a free version of Windows or OSX.

I should note that I do not exactly have the courage of my conventions as I have at least 8 Linux virtual machines at present so that I can keep up with the utterly insane changes to even the most mundane components of this operation system. :oops:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
uhgreen

Post by uhgreen »

altair4 wrote: Your post perfectly answers the question posed by the original post. Is a particular user using Linux as a hobby or as a platform to get something done?

My wife is a professional software developer ( yes, girls can be programmers ) and would never consider using Linux because she has deadlines to meet. At the moment all of her development environments run on OSX so that is her platform of choice. Others may turn to Linux because of a dislike of Windows or lack of funds for OSX or because they want to learn about Linux.

I started Linux with SuSE 6.1 and I knew at the time it was going to be a learning experience and for me it was clearly a hobby since Windows was the platform I used to get things done. Linux has become more predictable ( note that I am talking about predictability not stability ) over time until recently. And over that time Linux moved from a being a hobby to a platform for me but it's becoming tedious.

History would suggest that "Linux" favors a user like you rather than a user like me or at the extreme a user that expects it to be a free version of Windows or OSX.
Unlike some Linux users, who think everybody should use Linux, I think that if someone wants to use Microsoft or OS X then they should. My wife uses Windows 7. She has no desire to use linux because she does not tinker with her computer. She is getting her PhD in history and doesn't use anything except Chrome and Microsoft Office. I wouldn't even think of suggesting Linux to her.

I think that Linux being a minority is good. Just popular enough that there ARE users (and users that know their stuff) but not enough users that developers have to spend all their time catering to end-users. I think if you want to use Linux you should understand that you might have to tweak, learn, understand how the system is made.
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

uhgreen wrote:Just popular enough that there ARE users (and users that know their stuff) but not enough users that developers have to spend all their time catering to end-users.
More users would mean more developers. More developers would mean bugs were fixed faster. Less bugs would mean less updates.

Maybe you would find Ubuntu too stable and easy to use then, but there's always Arch and Gentoo and such.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Disclaimer: Please do not take my comment personally. I do not disagree with you in particular, but rather with a general idea that is quite popular in the community.
uhgreen wrote: I don't think Linux, not even Ubuntu, should be an operating system where the end-users just click a gui icon to update their computer and don't have to think about anything. Sometimes the end-user is going to have to get their hands dirty. If that prevents the public at large from using Linux then, in my view, so be it.
Excuse me, but aren't we are on the forum of Linux Mint - "From freedom came elegance", which is a derivative of Ubuntu - "Linux for human beings"?

As I understand it: Making the system so user friendly, that everyone (not only IT geeks) can use it is the MAIN goal of Mint. There is Debian Sid or even Linux From Scratch for those who really like to get their hands dirty. Apple OS and Windows are user-friendly, but are expensive (especially Apple) and what is most important - they are closed. If you want to change something in Windows, you must ask Microsoft. Of course they want to make money, so they do tricks to force you to pay for the new version of the OS. (For example they will purposefully prevent you from installing DX10 and DX11 on Windows XP, and advertise that Windows 7 supports DX 11 :P).
Linux Mint wants to do better, that is to do a completely free user-friendly OS without too much ads and one that is OPEN, so that for example, if you really like Mint Menu you can use it in Debian or even in Fedora. And you can make modifications to it, if you have some smart idea. The terms "open to modifications" and "user-friendly" do not and should not exclude each other. A system that has a GUI for everything and is super-user-friendly, can still have root account available and a terminal and ability to compile from source for those who want to do some development. These options should not mandatory to know, if someone just wants to USE the system.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"The terms "open to modifications" and "user-friendly" do not and should not exclude each other. A system that has a GUI for everything and is super-user-friendly, can still have root account available and a terminal and ability to compile from source for those who want to do some development. These options should not mandatory to know, if someone just wants to USE the system."
Yep point I was making in another thread about coming back to linux. And pointing out the need for easier gui,configuring,system adjustments like the archaic way to do date & time strings to get basic time in tray.

And the response I got was.
Re: Clock
Postby sagirfahmid3 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Linux was never meant for regular users; it was made by the geeks, for the geeks.
If you can't use Linux, too bad, boo-hoo, stick with Mac or Windows if you want your pretty point-and-click GUI and bloatware.
Linux does not have an obligation to be the most user friendly desktop in the world, nor does it have the intention of stomping out the competition.
Linux is a way of life. Sometimes, that life can be a wee bit difficult, but hey, when is life ever easy? If you can't live with it, switch to something you can live with.

As the user monkeyboy so eloquently puts it:

If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry
Doesn't seem to bode well for welcoming the newbie or thinking outside the defacto linux standard.
And suggesting Gui solutions that would make the learning curve a little less on the need to know cryptic commands that one will use once to adjust kind of things. And we will forget as soon as we do them. And end up not needing them again for another 6 month's or year. Like adjusting the Date & Time and translating what the symbols are and creating a string to get the results they want.

Many distro's are aimed at beginners and targeting new to linux with promise of easy Desktop environment. With promise of Easy Use "Even my Grandma Can Use & Loves it!" So I am a bit confused.

When linux regulars user's share their frowning on user's that don't want to use the terminal and remember all those cryptic commands. And then get flame-tongued when suggesting a simpler gui non-cryptic way to do the most basic things done on a computer. Just has me confused.
"Why use Ubuntu?
It couldn’t be easier to use

Ubuntu does everything you need it to and more. It'll work with music, videos, photos and files that you use on your current PC. And it works just as well with printers, cameras and all common smartphones."
Really? All That? Don't Thinks so spent 2 years with Ubuntu. Constant upgrade breakage from video to wifi. Not to mention setting up printer from hell threads on ubuntu site. Even had a text file on desktop to re-look up commands for terminal to fix things.

Now fast forward to a month ago and trying to give linux a go again. And finding Mint Cinnamon best experience so far. And a lot of my prior experiences helped me in setting up. But truth be told everything pretty much worked out of the box even my ati 4350 vide and wireless. So much progress has been made. But there is no reason not let it continue on the Gui front in even easier basic config and tweaking of system without a terminal need. Don't see a problem in that.
"The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.

Started in 2006, Linux Mint is now the 4th most widely used home operating system behind Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS and Canonical's Ubuntu.

Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:

It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use."
Tells the General Computer user that it is a contender to regular mainstream Windows & OS X users. And do intend to present themselves as alternative to the masses.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

randomizer wrote:If Linux became "perfect" for the average Windows user then it would lose the people who use it because it is good at what it does right now, which is most of the developers that make Linux software. Converting Windows users really doesn't gain Linux anything useful except the potential for more manufacturer support (in the form of proprietary drivers no doubt). Average Windows users are not an asset to Linux development or culture, they are a liability.

A computer that Just Works for a Windows user will Just Not Work for anyone doing real work.

Found this topic, and although it's old, I have to comment on it, particularly where it says: "if Linux became perfect for the average Windows user then it would lose the people who use it."

Look at Mac, it's a unix derivative, but, it's considered a super user friendly OS. Yet, unix hasn't lost it's way with the people who normally use it.

I think Linux Mint is doing the same thing. We can have a version of Linux (i.e. Linux Mint) that will appeal to the Windows type user who just wants to use a computer to do various tasks without much configuration and hassle. I'm towards that end of the spectrum, but, I don't mind tinkering around as well.

On the other hand, if someone wants avoid the GUI, they can use Arch Linux or something similar.

Anyways, I'm glad for Linux Mint and I hope it continues to improve it's user-friendliness and simple "out-of-the-box" experience". At the same time, I'm happy for Arch Linux and similar distros for those people who prefer that route.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Emegra wrote:...
Almost exactly a year ago I tried Linux Why? because I was bored and wanted something new to learn, Was it easier to use than windows ? NO, Did it do anything windows didn't ? NO, Did all my hardware that worked in windows work in Linux ? NO, Was I able to run all the applications I needed ? NO, Did I find alternatives to all the applications I needed ? NO, So why do I use Linux exclusively on my PC today and would never contemplate returning to Windows? for me the answer is probably philosophy, the fact that since installing Linux my PC feels like it's truely mine, I can do what I like with it, I can configure it in such a way that will make my PC look like nobody elses and I can live in the knowledge that I no longer contribute to the disgusting profits made by the Microsoft corporation or Apple (collectively around $7 billion in the first quarter of this year).

Using Linux has made me learn a little bit about how a computer works but more importantly the computing industry and how companies like Microsoft and Apple vie for the power to enslave people in what I've heard called "walled gardens" but they're not walled gardens they're concentration camps with barbed wire perimiter fences patrolled with viscous guard dogs ready to rip out the throats of anyone who tries to get in, ironically these concentration camps are easy to escape from, but all too many people choose to stay enslaved out of fear, fear of the unknown or some misguided sense of loyalty.
I'm with Linux for the same kind of motivations. The philosophy, the freedom, the community spirit, the true ownership of my computer. Also, I hate the MS and Apple way to do business (I'm not marxist, but this is the true ugly face of capitalism!).

Well, I'm not still 100% linux because:
1 - lack of proper drivers for some peripherals (in my case, I can't manage to run an ink printer, and the laser printer won't print duplex).
2 - lack of 100% compatibility with some ms windows formats (in my case, .docx and .ppx)
3 - risk of breakages of something when customizing, tweaking, installing or upgrading (lot of hours spent to navigate the forums to find a solution)

All 3 points are serious, because I'm a professional (writer and teacher) and managing to do my work in linux. If I can't print properly, can't be sure of the perfect output of an article or a book to be sent to the editor, can't finish my work in time because something gone bad...
But anyway, I stay mostly with linux, using MS Windows only if is strictly necessary.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Look at Mac, it's a unix derivative, but, it's considered a super user friendly OS. Yet, unix hasn't lost it's way with the people who normally use it.

I think Linux Mint is doing the same thing. We can have a version of Linux (i.e. Linux Mint) that will appeal to the Windows type user who just wants to use a computer to do various tasks without much configuration and hassle. I'm towards that end of the spectrum, but, I don't mind tinkering around as well.
I'm coming from Mac. After 12 years I can say for sure that Mac OS X is super friendly. You can get your hands dirty as much as you want and yes, it has a terminal (and Windows too). But the goal for Apple, as for Linux Mint, is making a very easy to use OS, GUI oriented and hassle free. So you don't need to touch the terminal if you don't want to. I tried Linux years ago and gave up. But finally Linux Mint KDE made me switch and not looking back. I don't miss Mac at all. I get my hands dirty sometimes, because I want, but I don't really need it. The good thing is that finally Linux is giving that "It's all GUI; Forget the terminal" choice. The only way to significantly gain users base, IMO.
TNFrank

Post by TNFrank »

I'm also coming over to Linux from Mac OS X after using it for 11 years. For me starting out with Ubuntu 12.04LTS made it easy to switch over because just like OS X it's an icon based desktop. After a couple months of getting use to using Linux I've moved to Mint 15 with the MATE desktop and I really love it.
I've never been big on Windows, Win '98 saw to that, it totally sucked and after giving a Windows 8 machine a try for a week and having the system bork because of a Trojan horse that has sealed the deal for me as far as Windows OS goes, never going to even look at it again, it's total junk IMHO.
Linux does everything I want or need to do with my computer. The hardware is a plain ol' PC so it's cheaper then getting into a Mac and it's just as if not more virus free then Mac OS X. There's a ton of Distros to choose from so if one doesn't float your boat you can always try a different Distro until you find the right fit for you and you've invested nothing out of pocket, just your time to download and install it.
I'm a hardcore Linux convert and I'll never go back to any other OS. :wink:
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

TNFrank wrote: I'm a hardcore Linux convert and I'll never go back to any other OS. :wink:
I hear you on that- neither will I. I have gotten mad a couple of times with linux, however, window$ would make me furious - on just about a daily basis.

I'm incredibly grateful for all the hard work that has been put into linux, not just Mint, but all distros - Richard Stallman is a truly foresighted individual for creating an environment where such projects can place in true freedom :).

I've only been using Linux for a year and a half, but my experiences have all been largely good. I did have a trouble getting two friends' wireless to work on their computers with Mint, however Ubuntu wound up working for them, so it really is becoming a "works right out of the box" experience, especially compared to the way it used to be - from what I can tell reading old posts.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
robertcc

Post by robertcc »

uhgreen wrote: Unlike some Linux users, who think everybody should use Linux, I think that if someone wants to use Microsoft or OS X then they should. My wife uses Windows 7. She has no desire to use linux because she does not tinker with her computer. She is getting her PhD in history and doesn't use anything except Chrome and Microsoft Office. I wouldn't even think of suggesting Linux to her.

I think that Linux being a minority is good. Just popular enough that there ARE users (and users that know their stuff) but not enough users that developers have to spend all their time catering to end-users. I think if you want to use Linux you should understand that you might have to tweak, learn, understand how the system is made.
Why not make it a positive "...think everybody should be able to use Linux..." instead of a derogatory "...think everybody should use Linux..."? What is wrong with some distributions being aimed at allowing anyone to be able to use a linux-based-os? And I do not mean, of course, that they are presently physically barred from using it. I mean stability/capability/support-wise.

I agree with you that technology should be applied appropriately depending on needs. However, there's no reason to actively dismiss working toward OS refinement and enjoyment for everyone, is there? Working toward allowing a linux-based desktop os to be usable by anyone is the goal that has gotten the community as far as it has, such as the fine OS you may be using to read this post.

You simply state you wouldn't even think of suggesting linux to your wife. The goal of some distrubtions is to give you a counter question option: why wouldn't you suggest linux to your wife? That's a pretty good goal, isn't it? Think of what would have to happen for you to consider that question viable. That's what some people are trying to work toward. Why not be okay with letting them?

"Linux" isn't a precious, limited resource. More people aren't going to spoil it for you.
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

Hello,

The question you posed is a great one! I have been in the tech arena now for 17yrs, and it never ceases to amaze me that when it comes to computers, there are those who seem to not be able to understand OS's and really what function they provide.

When it come to giving up on linux, I believe it is because people have very little patience these days, They want the answer right now, and they want to just get in and drive. Linux is not hard to learn, does it have a steep learning curve? That depends on the distro that you use. Naturally if you are new to Linux you would not want to use Arch linux or a strickly command line distro, As you would certainly fail at trying to install and use Linux.

However, the reason's most people give up, really at times gets under my skin, as it really comes down to just being unwilling to pay attention to commands. Linux mint as well as PCLINUXOS are probably the easiest to install. All you have to do mostly is click next, put in your username and password, make sure you are in the right time zone and make a choice as " Use existing drive" then it pretty much installs itself. Once it reboots, You log in and open up firefox, thunderbird for email and away you go.

One of the first things I do is log into the distro's forum and read about the different issues, This way if I have one, I can quickly fix it. There has been times I have had to search for days for a solution, but hey, I have more than one computer, so it's no big deal if the one with linux on it has to sit until I find the solution. If people would stop having unreal expectations on products they have no experience with, or stop listening to windows techs who really don't know anything about linux other than fud that comes from other windows techs would claim to not be able to get it to work or install. If a person who claims to be a computer tech, and cannot install linux or any other OS, then that person really needs to get out of the technical support business and find something more suitable to his inability to learn and follow directions. :? Linux is a comon sense OS, as was Novell, Unix and even Apple, They only OS that was built on confusion and as Bill Gates Stated " I am building a OS that would be idiot proof" However I think they actually made it exponientally complicated so the idiot's would be able to click a button and not know what the hell they just did. :lol: And if you think that is scary, just think about all those admins who got certs from reading a book and then being in charge of a whole datacenter of " idiot proof computers" Just ask them to tell you what the command was to hide files and directories in dos using the Attrib command.

anywho, Have a great day!
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eggnog »

I think Jonathan has the gist of it. Many people have little patience. They want something to work and work now or they move on.

I started with Linux quite a while back as a hobby. I was fascinated that one could have an OS that was stable, secure, and came with a plethora of free apps. Things were a little less friendly than they are today but if one persisted, one could have a nice system. I use Win at work and Linux at home, and am quite happy.

Linux has come a long way. Vista drove people away, and now Win 8 is doing much the same. People use Android on their Smartphones and tablets. Valve is doing its part in helping Linux to become more mainstream by supporting Linux games. SteamOS should help, too.

When gaming is supported on Linux like it is in Windows, then Katy bar the door. That will open the floodgates.
graybyrd

Post by graybyrd »

Rather than play 'blame the victim,' have a look at this thread in a community forum for a very popular writing tool:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24902

I've been working hard to make Linux work as a reliable, solid, stable, and functional OS for several years, with mixed results. The usual result is a broken installation and a complete reinstall, with loss of apps and much time spent trying to restore the system to a working setup that meets my application needs.

The cause, in each instance? UPGRADES! It doesn't matter if they are performed through a distro's software manager, through Synaptic, or through apt-get ... eventually, something will bork the installation and it will come apart.

I am NOT a developer, hacker, coder, or guru. I am a writer, and a damned good one, and my computer is a tool. I can keep it polished, sharp, and efficient, but I have no time to program it, debug it, or spend hours and hours searching a Linux universe of obsolete garbage and irrelevant clues for the precious crumb that might fix the broken system.

BTW, I've kept several desktop and laptop computers running Windows XP/SP 3 for ten years without a borked system; I've got two desktop and one laptop Macintosh computers running OS 10.4.11 "Tiger" for the last several years with no breakage. Everything runs fine.

The problem with Linux? Too much f*#king around with it by maintainers and coders who put gee-whiz features ahead of stability, and too little time spent checking compatibility. My distro of choice is Debian. I tried for three years to follow the 'testing' branch, but finally gave it up due to inevitable breakages.

I hoped that LMDE was the best solution: a testing distro that was 'tested' by using patched updates. I had come to depend on a solid install of LMDE for nearly a year, and lost the entire works with Patch 7 ... which destroyed my XFCE enviro. It was a big loss of time and effort.

Now I've switched back to #! (Crunch-Bang distro) as it's based on Debian Stable. But even that is partially broken: I favor "Gedit" as a text editor, because there is an excellent plug-in available to make it a powerful Markdown preview and output filtered app. Guess what? The dependencies are broken, and Gedit is crippled. BTW, the same thing happened to Gedit in LMDE after I installed the 'Mate' version. Some libs were excluded, and something in the repo was borked, and Gedit lost the ability to load external plugins.

(BTW, Gedit was replaced in the 'Mate' distro with a fork of Gedit [Pluma?] for what reason? It denied access to the wealth of Gedit plugin resources! Why? My first reaction to the developer who made that choice was to inflict upon him/her an act that would make Vlad the Impaler blush with shame! It ain't nice to take useful tools away from people who come to depend on them! Is that some kind of 'power trip' or something?)

I still have great hopes of being able to rely on Linux as an everyday, year-long, year after year replacement for Windows XP, but I'm not holding my breath. Until some commanding force is able to exert sufficient discipline in the Linux ranks to put stability ahead of novelty, new converts to desktop Linux will remain discouraged and disappointed.

Again, read that thread on the Scrivener forums, and then check out the other threads in that Linux section of the Scrivener community. You'll find it eye-opening. BTW, Scrivener runs rock-solid on Macintosh, and even though it is still in development, it runs very well on Windows. But on Linux? With each new "upgrade" of Ubuntu or other distros, it becomes a minefield.

That, ladies and gents, is why new people give up on Linux!
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

Wow! There have honestly been times when I've thought the best thing to do after getting a Linux system working perfectly was to simply disable updates altogether and never update again.

~nilla
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

@graybyrd: Unfortunately, the above link you give seems to be an example of the worst case. Upgrading the distro for the sake of upgrading does lead you to this kind of situation.
Until some commanding force is able to exert sufficient discipline in the Linux ranks to put stability ahead of novelty, new converts to desktop Linux will remain discouraged and disappointed.
You have to find and choose the right distribution/desktop tailored for your needs. Indeed most users put novelty ahead of stability, regarding stability as an equivalent to boredom rather than to sturdiness and reliability.
Koninator

Post by Koninator »

File structure!

Code: Select all

/
-bin
-boot
-cdrom
-dev
-etc
-home
-lib
-lib32
-lib64
-media
-mnt
-opt
-proc
-root
-run
-sbin
-srv
-sys
-tmp
-usr
-var
21 folders at base level. Even government don't have so much complexity in it's structure.

But hopefully things are moving (very slowly sadly) in right direction with Gobo Linux.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gobo
http://www.gobolinux.org/

File structure of Gobo Linux:

Code: Select all

/
-Depot
-Files
-lost+found
-Mount
-Programs
-System
-Users
Only 7 folders at base. And each folder represent some logical information about system.

In DOS and Windows Files are arranged by meaning/job, what the files do...
But in Linux files are arranged by type of files - execute, config, ...

[Linux sort files by race: Black, White, Asian, Indian, ...
Windows sort files by job: engineer, construction worker, liberal arts, manager, ....]

But I understand why Linux have that type of file structure - it is build for security.
So if all executable files are in one directory you can easily monitor them - secure them.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

The Linux directory structure is well suited to a command line interface. DOS was similar, but Windows is much more difficult to use from the command line because of the increasing length of filenames, capitalization, spaces, etc... If GNU/Linux could be administered more completely by GUI then the directory structure could change in the way you propose.

Return to “Chat about Linux”