Nemo 1.1.2 does not confirm before moving to Trash

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VeryNewToMint

Nemo 1.1.2 does not confirm before moving to Trash

Post by VeryNewToMint »

I would like Nemo to ask for confirmation before deleting a file or moving it to Trash. I have the "Ask before emptying the Trash or deleting files" option checked, and the "Include a Delete command that bypasses Trash" option unchecked. Deleting a file by using the delete key or right-clicking and selecting "Move to Trash" gives the same result. The file is moved to the Trash, but no confirmation is asked for. I have a fresh installation of 64-bit Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon with few programs installed now except for the defaults. What should I try?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kiwi

Re: Nemo 1.1.2 does not confirm before delete

Post by kiwi »

Neither Mint nor Nautilus ask for a confirmation before the point at which a file would be lost forever.

You could try PCManFM which I believe can be set to a greater level of nagging.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

VeryNewToMint wrote:I would like Nemo to ask for confirmation before deleting a file or moving it to Trash. I have the "Ask before emptying the Trash or deleting files" option checked, and the "Include a Delete command that bypasses Trash" option unchecked. Deleting a file by using the delete key or right-clicking and selecting "Move to Trash" gives the same result. The file is moved to the Trash, but no confirmation is asked for. I have a fresh installation of 64-bit Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon with few programs installed now except for the defaults. What should I try?
Thanks!
The answer to what you perceive to be a problem is right there in your own words...
"Move to Trash"
Moving a file to the trash can is not deleting it. You will get the warning if you try to empty the trash, thereby attempting to delete the files. You will also get the warning if you use Shift-Del to delete the file immediately.

The behaviour is normal.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
VeryNewToMint

Re: Nemo 1.1.2 does not confirm before moving to Trash

Post by VeryNewToMint »

Thanks kiwi and catweazel. I should drop a note in the suggestion box then to see if this option could be added to Nemo in the future. In my opinion, a confirmation prompt before moving-to-Trash (and/or actually deleting) is the expected default behavior for most newbies (due to Windows experience), and therefore desirable. I'll need to be careful when emptying the "Trash" with this setup. Thanks again!
Last edited by VeryNewToMint on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aten

Post by aten »

catweazel wrote: The behaviour is normal.
no, it is not normal. I found myself multiple times accidentally pressing Del in a wrong window or accidentally drag-n-dropping a file of a directory in Nemo or Nautilus. None of these FMs ask for confirmation of any of these actions. Well, with moved file it is solvable, because when I find a file missing in the root of my home it shows up in search results. If stuff gets moved to trash it DOES NOT show up in search anymore. An optional confirmation dialog for these destructive actions is a MUST! It has been multiple times already that I freaked out because of entire directory missing and later was cursing these damn FMs for stupidity. And the last time was just 5 minutes ago, that is why started googling for solution.
VeryNewToMint

Post by VeryNewToMint »

I must agree that this is definitely a problem for many users, myself included. Having a confirmation when pressing the DELETE key (even if this only moves the file to the Trash) is essential. Consider a typical scenario: The delete key is pressed while in Nemo, and a file (in the most benign scenario) is moved to the Trash unbeknowst to the user. This typical user may not check the Trash for several days, weeks, or months! In order to restore the accidentally deleted file, this user must recognize that deleted file from long ago in the Trash. This is highly unlikely. This puts a very heavy burden on the user when emptying the Trash.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

catweazel wrote:Moving a file to the trash can is not deleting it. You will get the warning if you try to empty the trash, thereby attempting to delete the files. You will also get the warning if you use Shift-Del to delete the file immediately.

The behaviour is normal.
I agree.

For anything else, did you ever think about regular (automated) backups ?
VeryNewToMint

Post by VeryNewToMint »

I back up my files regulary and automatically via LuckyBackup, yes, but this is not the issue. The issue is one of convenience for the user. Getting a warning when emptying the Trash is not the same as getting a warning at the time that individual files are moved to the Trash. This is important for two reasons: 1) Much time may have elapsed between the moving of an individual file to the Trash and the bulk emptying of the Trash. 2) There may be many files in the Trash at the time of the bulk emptying thereof, making combing through the Trash for accidentally deleted files difficult.

If you choose NOT to have a confirmation for deleting and/or moving files to the trash, then this is your choice, and I certainly don't seek to block your options. Please allow me to request that my choice be available. I am definitely not alone in this request. Other operating systems do have this option, and it is a popular one.
milos.forman

Post by milos.forman »

Here is the solution for Mint 17 MATE. Use dconf-editor (or gconf, depends of gnome version), and go to the org-mate-caja-preferances, and enable confirm trash option. I never used Cinnamon before, but I guess that it should be similar path to the option ( I'm not sure whether the org category remains the same or it is something else, but instead of mate, should be cinnamon and instead of caja should be nemo). Anyway this is an idea, good luck with that.

Return to “Software & Applications”