Xfce question regarding maximizing windows

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Xfce question regarding maximizing windows

Post by nomko »

Hi,

Just installed Mint 15 Xfce. Relocated the taskbar from the bottom to the top (to add a dockbar at the bottom). But now i notice this:
Whenever i maximize a window, the titlebar + 3 buttons (at the right) disappear behind the Xfce taskbar.

[url=http://www.wuala.com/nomko/Share%20Folder/Selectie_001.png/]Picture 1 shows Chrome not maximized where the title bar and buttons at the right are visible[/url]

[url=http://www.wuala.com/nomko/Share%20Folder/Selectie_002.png/]Picture 2 shows Chrome maximized where the title bar and buttons are disappeared behind the Xfce taskbar[/url]

Why is this and how can i avoid this?
Many thanks!
Makoto

Re: Xfce question regarding maximizing windows

Post by Makoto »

Does this happen in programs other than chrome?
nomko

Post by nomko »

Makoto wrote:Does this happen in programs other than chrome?
Yes, all programs. I just took Chrome as an example.
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

You can middle-click anywhere on the desktop for a list of minimized applications, then left-click the one you wish to restore. But you need to look at your panel settings to change the way minimized applications appear. You've added a dock, and they may be "hiding" behind it.

~nilla
nomko

Post by nomko »

Nilla Wafer wrote:You can middle-click anywhere on the desktop for a list of minimized applications, then left-click the one you wish to restore.
This is not the issue.
Nilla Wafer wrote: But you need to look at your panel settings to change the way minimized applications appear.
And where to find that?????
Nilla Wafer wrote:You've added a dock, and they may be "hiding" behind it.
I don't have a dock installed yet.

Question is really simple: why do the titlebar of windows disappear behind the top taskbar? Doesn't matter which program is running. Each titlebar disappear.
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

Somebody started a thread about this way back in 2012, but I believe the solution provided at the bottom of that thread might still work for Mint 15 XFCE...

[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=529725#p529725[/url]

Basically, Alt+Left-Clicking an open window should let you drag it anywhere else onto the screen, away from the panel.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

nomko wrote:Whenever i maximize a window, the titlebar + 3 buttons (at the right) disappear behind the Xfce taskbar.
nomko wrote:Why is this and how can i avoid this?
Right-click on panel. Move cursor to Panel and select Panel Preferences. Uncheck Don't reserve space on borders (or check Automatically show and hide the panel :wink: ).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
nomko

Post by nomko »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Right-click on panel. Move cursor to Panel and select Panel Preferences. Uncheck Don't reserve space on borders (or check Automatically show and hide the panel :wink: ).
I found that already, but that's not really an answer to my question: Why does a window titlebar (including the min/max/close button) disappear behind the Xfce taskbar when maximizing the window?
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Maybe try a xfwm4 --replace in the terminal (if you're not using Compiz) and see if that's working.

There's also one other thing i need to get off of my chest:

I hate to say this but i've been watching it long enough now on various forums....

After being with linux all these years, 6 or more, nomko, you used different distro's and DE's, you have some knowledge and should know that google is still your friend because this issue isn't really the first time it happened. You even tell other users to search for their answer.... You have come from far (unless your not really using linux which i doubt), so that means you know things very well.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Mr. B wrote:Maybe try a xfwm4 --replace in the terminal (if you're not using Compiz) and see if that's working.

There's also one other thing i need to get off of my chest:

I hate to say this but i've been watching it long enough now on various forums....

After being with linux all these years, 6 or more, nomko, you used different distro's and DE's, you have some knowledge and should know that google is still your friend because this issue isn't really the first time it happened. You even tell other users to search for their answer.... You have come from far (unless your not really using linux which i doubt), so that means you know things very well.
I'll try that command, thanks!
And keep your remarks to yourself the next time!
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

nomko wrote:... keep your remarks to yourself the next time!
Actually YOU started the smartalec remarks in your second reply to someone who tried to help you, and you've been nothing but smartalecky in this thread ever since.

If you don't want to read our remarks, I suggest you read the "man pages" instead. That way you won't have to put up with snarky replies to your poorly-worded and vague questions.

~nilla
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

Everyone needs to settle down. It's an international forum and misunderstandings easily occur.
RosePet

Post by RosePet »

Great !
the command:
xfwm4 --replace
did the trick for me, spending hours - not googling, but fiddling with compizconfig-settings-manager, trying it to size windows properly AND to get Alt-Tab working AND to get windows resizing to work.
It all came to work just of this command on my (I know) old Netbook 10.4" display with LM 13 (Maya) Xfce install.
Thanks (not to Google, but) to Mr. B

Return to “Xfce”