Where is mint 13's .bashrc file?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert-e

Where is mint 13's .bashrc file?

Post by robert-e »

I have installed gnuradio, and it instructs me as such:

Code: Select all

To run the examples you may need to set PYTHONPATH.  Note that the
prefix and python version number in the path needs to match your
installed version of python.

$ export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages

You may want to add this to your shell init file (~/.bash_profile if
you use bash).
I have searched the hard drive for .bashrc, but it does not exit. If it does
not exist in mint 13, in which file should I add this line?

Note; I know virtually nothing about python programming, and even less
about bash.

Thank you
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Where is mint 13's .bashrc file?

Post by xenopeek »

You can add that line instead to your .profile file, which serves these same purpose as .bash_profile. Ctrl+H in your file manager to show hidden files.

When in doubt about things related to bash, just type "man bash" on the terminal to get its manpage (documentation). If you're not familiar with manpages, start with "man man" to learn about the man command :) The INVOCATION section of the manpage covers initialization files. GNU also have a manual online with the same info: http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Bash-Startup-Files
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Thank you zenopeek;
Most of the bash init information/docs seemed to be attributed to OS such as fedora and debian; hence I went looking for .bashrc. Now I know that mint does some things in slightly different ways compared to the other OS's, and rather than screw things up (as I have done many times in the past), I thought I had better ask. I could have barged on ahead, and tried some things, and if it went to the perverbial handbasket, just clonezilla back. OTOH, the gnuradio took nearly 3 hours to compile and I don't want to have to do that again.
Again, thanks for your detailed reply.

Best regards,
Bob
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry, you were searching for .bashrc but the information you shared instead mentioned .bash_profile:

Code: Select all

You may want to add this to your shell init file (~/.bash_profile if
you use bash).
You can also add it to .bashrc, by creating that file. By default Linux Mint's .profile is set up to also load the .bashrc file (it is normally only loaded for non-login shells, so only when you open a terminal).
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Hi zenopeek,
I did do more reading/homework on PYTHONPATH et al, and was also able to append the HOME/bin path.

#added for gnuradio
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/grc_gnuradio/:$HOME/bin

It worked, and now gnuradio (and multimode) play nicely. The only problem left is that using pulse audio as an audio sink results in very low audio. Mind you, I have had much issues with pulse audio and amateur radio applications over the past years. However, that is not for this thread.

Thanks for all your pointers.

Best regards,
Bob

Return to “Software & Applications”