[Mint 15 Olivia]Cannot install GCC 4.8.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kallisti

[Mint 15 Olivia]Cannot install GCC 4.8.1

Post by Kallisti »

Hello all,

I'm trying to install Octave, which means I need a Fortran compiler, so I was installing GCC.

I have all of the dependencies installed (I think; I have GMP, MPFR and MPC), and running './configure' seemed to work fine, but when I ran 'make' I got a cryptic error message:

Code: Select all

checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in `/home/user/Downloads/gcc-4.8.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
See `config.log' for more details.
make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/user/Downloads/gcc-4.8.1'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/user/Downloads/gcc-4.8.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I have no idea how to interpret any of that, and Google hasn't helped; checking config.log resulted in an overwhelming amount of text, which I also do not know how to interpret.

I don't want to copy-paste the whole thing unless I have to, because it's enormous and there's (to my knowledge) no way to wrap text in spoiler tabs on this board.

EDIT: Apparently, .logs and .txts can't be attached, so I don't know what file type I need to convert it to in order to attach it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: [Mint 15 Olivia]Cannot install GCC 4.8.1

Post by WharfRat »

Kallisti,

Install pastebinit then

Code: Select all

cat /path/to/logfile|pastebinit
The above will return a url that you can paste back here

Good luck :wink:
Kallisti

Post by Kallisti »

Log file [url=http://pastebin.com/DvCvyhqn]here[/url].

The plot thickens--Synaptic tells me I have GCC 4.7 installed already, so I should theoretically have a Fortran compiler; I'm pretty sure gfortran is part of GCC.

So why won't Octave configure? It tells me 'error: cannot compile a simple Fortran program'; I've pasted that log file [url=http://pastetool.com/pastebin/134043]here[/url], but it's enormous--I had to use a different paste website because it was over Pastebin's limit.

(I still can't 'make' GCC 4.8.1, which is somewhat worrisome, but the ultimate goal is to install Octave.)
Kallisti

Post by Kallisti »

So am I on my own, then?

Return to “Software & Applications”