Can't boot from USB stick

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pjhalsli

Can't boot from USB stick

Post by pjhalsli »

I've installed LM on several machines without any problems. Yesterday I tried to install it on a friends machine but I can't even boot from the usb stick in his machine. Every time I restart the machine Windblows starts up. I've read about UEFI but just don't get it; what shall I do to get the bloody machine to recognize the stick? I've already turned off secure boot and rapid start and enabled legacy boot but nothing seems to work.

Anybody? PLZ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Can't boot from USB stick

Post by kukamuumuka »

How about if you change hard drives order in BIOS? There is boot order also, but it is a different thing.
pjhalsli

Post by pjhalsli »

How do I do that? I've already changed the boot order.

And why do I need to change the drive order?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

pjhalsli wrote:How do I do that? I've already changed the boot order.

And why do I need to change the drive order?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ihU-PbhtdEU/T2Oym2tTnAI/AAAAAAAABDw/HdxlC-YHhtw/s1600/hard+disk+priority.jpg
741cc

Post by 741cc »

Try hitting F11/F12 at the boot screen (varies from machine to machine, might also be Esc, Del or Enter - should say which on very first boot screen) to show a pop-up menu.
pjhalsli

Post by pjhalsli »

I've already changed the boot order. I got usb on top but it still won't recognize the stick. I tried to install on another machine just to see if something was wrong with the stick and it worked as it should. Booted in live mode on 3 different machines without any problems.

What 've done this far:

Changed boot order
Disabled secure boot
Disabled rapid start (something)
Disabled UEFI Ipv6
Enabled legacy boot (Ipv4)

Anyone know what to do?
pjhalsli

Post by pjhalsli »

BUMP!

Anyone?
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Could it be you might be trying to boot a 32 bit computer with a LM 64 bit version. Just a thought!
pjhalsli

Post by pjhalsli »

Nope I wish it was something that easy.

I got a stick with multisystem and different distros on it. It works on every machice except two and they are both HP so now I'm starting to think it's something wrong with that brand :(
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

You may be right! I've found that creating a liveusb using a brand new stick usually works (they are usually fat32). Once the stick is reused by installing other OS's to try, problems arise IMO. Don't know anything about HP machines, unfortunately. Could I suggest you install just one OS to a new stick and see if that boots. I've found Mint15, LXLE and Lite all seem to boot OK. Good luck!
pjhalsli

Post by pjhalsli »

I almost got it.I mangaed to install mint but when I restart the screen says; "no boot device found"

Anyone?
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

When you say "managed to install mint", do you mean as a live USB or to the internal HDD. (singularly or dual boot?)
If to a stick, is it the only OS on the stick.
Did u start using a new stick or one previously used for other OS's.
Have you checked again to ensure that CMS legacy is the boot mode.
In your previous posts you mention trying your multi stick on other machines. Does this new stick boot on another machine, assuming you still have access.

Apologies if you have already checked these things. It's so easy to repeat a simple error or incorrect procedure when frustration sets in. Been there, before!

HTH
pjhalsli

Post by pjhalsli »

I installed to harddrive from a live usb. When I get the message that the installation has finished and I need to reboot The machine says no boot device found. I used a new stick. Legacy is enabled. Can't disable UEFI. The live usb boots on another machines as well.

The machine I'm struggling with got 500 Gb HDD and 32Gb ssd (hybrid) Can that be the problem?

Btw you shouldn't apologise for anything when you're trying to help someone (me) :wink:
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Hello pjhalsli,

Grappling with this problem myself. There are so many variables to consider, it's like walking on eggshells. If I get further or can pass any relevant info on, I will do so. This UEFI stuff has really thrown a spanner in the works. :x
Cheers!

Return to “Installation & Boot”