ASCII sort in Nemo?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edwinsage

ASCII sort in Nemo?

Post by edwinsage »

Hi, I'm using LM15 with Cinnamon, and I'd like to enable ASCII sorting in Nemo.

Yes, I know what that means. I'm used to using uppercase to list things earlier, and to having hidden files/directories show up first.

I've gotten this to work in Thunar by editing the configuration files directly, but I'm not seeing any information on whether there are similar fixes I can use in Nemo.

Can i do this in Nemo without editing and building from source?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
donalduck
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ASCII sort in Nemo?

Post by donalduck »

I know what you mean because I'm used to windows "natural" sort of files too !

this is because of your locale settings i.e. some of the environnement variables of nemo process (ps: have a look at man locale).

try this in a terminal to get the "natural" sort.

Code: Select all

export LC_ALL=POSIX; ls -al
however as it seems there is only one instance of nemo process, which is launched right after boot/login, I don't know the best way to make it set for nemo ...
edwinsage

Post by edwinsage »

I've gotten this to work in Ubuntu by editing ~/.config/Thunar/thunarrc and changing MiscCaseSensitive to TRUE, but I don't see a similar file to edit for Nemo. It looks like it uses some type of binary file for config info, which is disappointingly un-unixlike.

Even that fix doesn't actually make thunar do ASCII sorting, as it still does "smart sorting" for numbers, but that's not something I mind too much.
donalduck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donalduck »

You can see where are the nemo package files with command below:

Code: Select all

dpkg -L nemo
config files end with .desktop

(ps: some .desktop files could be in your home ~/.config/autostart too)

As a quick & dirty hack I just edited Exec line arg in
/etc/xdg/autostart/nemo-autostart.desktop
with sh -c "export LC_ALL=POSIX; nemo -n"
then logout and re-login, but too bad even with this new environnement variable, nemo does not replicate the standard ls sorting order.
(numbers were sorted first as actual numbers, then upper case char. then lower case char., special char. files in between, and linux special hidden files at the end !)

So I suggest you post in nemo page
[url]http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198[/url]

or send a message to the main nemo software developpers so they could handle this behaviour in future versions.
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/graphs/contributors

Return to “Software & Applications”