Is Ubuntu screwing up Olivia KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Snapcase

Is Ubuntu screwing up Olivia KDE?

Post by Snapcase »

I don't know if it's only me or...

When I installed Olivia KDE (still in RC version) it worked like a charm. The best KDE distro I've tried so far. KDE was so stable and everything worked smooth once I managed to install the proper Nvidia driver. As time went by updates were arriving. I don't remember the last time I had level 1 update. Most of them are level 3 coming from Ubuntu. And the result is that with every single update something goes wrong, screwed up or stops working. A small thing each time, but now the sum of the little thing starts to be a very annoying scenario.

I'm wondering... Are the Ubuntu updates messing up the original excellent tweaks made by the Linux Mint team? No doubts that the initial release was an almost perfect OS with about no issues, but at least here, it's going worse and worse with every update coming from Ubuntu. Anyone in the same situation?

A short resume:

Dolphin is behaving strange. I didn't had the refresh button in the toolbars. No need for it, but I had to add it because it started to not refreshing the windows from time to time. Now it hardly ever refreses anything and i need to constatly use the reload button. Also it freezes and hangs out too often for a while when switching tabs taking a long while to respond and recover. Plus, it crashes quite often while I hardly ever had any crash before. It's driving me crazy. It went really bad after the last update yesterday. It was Imagemagic stuff plus a couple of KDE needed libraries. I don't remember the packages exactly, but they messed Dolphin so much.

Backup tool never gave errors untill now, but I'm having errors all the time lately, etc...

System settings started to ignore some settings, like locking the NumLock on startup, it never locks it now. Launching certain apps on start like Shutter and Yakuake (I want them always on) are not launched anymore. It doesn't matter if I keep on trying to set Firefox as the default web browser. External links now open in Konkeror. Every time. And a few more issues.

I'm thinking about upgrading to KDE 11, but I'm not sure if it will solve anything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Is Ubuntu screwing up Olivia KDE?

Post by Pierre »

I rarely install any level three updates,
- that way, the Mint O/S stay's fairly stable.

- FF, Tbird etc - are level two updates .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

I haven't had any troubles with any of the updates so far...

Re-installing Mint 15 KDE and not installing anything via update manager, it's a bit drastic, but it may be something to consider as an option if everything else fails. No fancy updates, but hopefully everything would work for you until Mint 16 comes out.
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Pierre wrote:I rarely install any level three updates,
- that way, the Mint O/S stay's fairly stable.

- FF, Tbird etc - are level two updates .. ..
Something to keep in mind from now on. Definitely.

Thanks.
Dahoam

Post by Dahoam »

This might sound naive, but what's the point of rolling out updates if it screws up stable systems? My Olivia 14 KDE was great at the beginning, then it went sour after trusting every available update. Now Olivia 15 KDE is buggy, no mouse/keyboard or sound on Skype after install with all current updates. I never update a windows box after install, just hide behind a router and a decent firewall and that works. Looks like I have to do that with LInux now. Jeeez!
Dahoam

Post by Dahoam »

When I installed Olivia KDE (still in RC version) it worked like a charm. The best KDE distro I've tried so far. KDE was so stable and everything worked smooth once I managed to install the proper Nvidia driver. As time went by updates were arriving. I don't remember the last time I had level 1 update. Most of them are level 3 coming from Ubuntu. And the result is that with every single update something goes wrong, screwed up or stops working. A small thing each time, but now the sum of the little thing starts to be a very annoying scenario.

I'm wondering... Are the Ubuntu updates messing up the original excellent tweaks made by the Linux Mint team? No doubts that the initial release was an almost perfect OS with about no issues, but at least here, it's going worse and worse with every update coming from Ubuntu. Anyone in the same situation?
Last edited by Dahoam on Tue May 30, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
colyn

Post by colyn »

I get all updates with no issues whatsoever..

Mint 15 is running as stable as the day I installed it..
mintrocks123

Post by mintrocks123 »

It is really strange ... i did an update and it removed all the core KDE libraries such as plasma deskop:
The following packages were uninstalled:

akonadi-facebook ...
akonadi-kde-resource-googledata ...
akregator ...
gdebi-kde ...
kaddressbook ...
kde-config-touchpad ...
kde-workspace ...
kscreensaver ...
kde-workspace-bin ...
kdepim-kresources ...
kdepim-strigi-plugins ...
kdeplasma-addons ...
kleopatra ...
kmail ...
knotes ...
kontact ...
konversation ...
korganizer ...
libeventviews4 ...
libkblog4 ...
libksieveui4 ...
libkfbapi1 ...
libmessagelist4 ...
plasma-desktop ...
plasma-runners-addons ...
plasma-widget-facebook ...
plasma-scriptengine-python ...
plasma-wallpapers-addons ...
plasma-widget-lancelot ...
plasma-widgets-addons ...
userconfig ...
python-kde4 ...
ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt ...
python3-pykde4 ...
libmailcommon4 ...
libmailimporter4 ...
libpimcommon4 ...
libmessagecomposer4 ...
libtemplateparser4 ...
libmessageviewer4 ...
libincidenceeditorsng4 ...
libcalendarsupport4 ...
libkdepim4 ...
libkdepimdbusinterfaces4 ...
libktnef4 ...
libmessagecore4 ...

after I installed them again, everything seems to work except kmail and kde instant messenger (they don't connect)
This has happened twice and I have to re-install everything again ...
mrwes

Post by mrwes »

colyn wrote:I get all updates with no issues whatsoever..

Mint 15 is running as stable as the day I installed it..
Same here.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I think with any of the Mint editions, and for that matter most Linux distros, hardware plays the most critical part in how smoothly things run. That's why many users only apply the level 1 & 2 updates. The levels 3-5 can all affect hardware in one way or another.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

It's clear that my hardware doesn't like the level 3-5 updates. Since I stopped updating them nothing else went broken. Won't revert to a clean install of Olivia KDE at this point with just a month of expected life. But I think I'll go Debian and leave any Ubuntu based distros away instead of going Linux Mint 16. Got enough of it. I'm done with Ubuntu. LMDE is not a choice. I want KDE. I'll switch to SolydK within the next weeks.

Return to “Software & Applications”