Problem Interacting with Windows/Dialogues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AmnesiacBear

Problem Interacting with Windows/Dialogues

Post by AmnesiacBear »

Hi, sorry if this isn't the right section for this, but I'm not sure how to classify this issue.

I installed Mint 15 64-bit Mate edition on my Asus G73SW beside my existing Windows 8 system the other day. The installation went smoothly but after booting into Mint, I've found that sometimes I can only use the arrow keys to navigate a dialogue box (as clicking does nothing, as if the window were not selected as the "working" window). When I use alt+tab I can cycle through which window is on top, but still cannot interact with the window being shown. I have found that sometimes making clicks on a window registers on the window beneath it instead, for some reason.

This problem seems rather odd to me; I have never experienced anything like it. I tried booting a few different Live Linux distros (Fedora, Crunchbang, openSUSE) and have confirmed that this problem happens in all of those environments as well. It does not occur in Windows, though.

Can anyone shed any light on what's happening here?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
edwinsage

Re: Problem Interacting with Windows/Dialogues

Post by edwinsage »

Is this with the touchpad? Do you have the same problems if you plug in a mouse? I'm seeing reports of numerous people having problems with the touchpad in Asus G73s, particularly in Linux:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems/page55
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?677-Keyboard-Touchpad-issues-are-Still-Unresolved&s=0a21412d54e999d1353dfcf618effa6a

This might be a hardware problem you're having.
AmnesiacBear

Re: Problem Interacting with Windows/Dialogues

Post by AmnesiacBear »

Unfortunately, the same problem occurs with a mouse, there is no difference. It's very strange in the fact that I can click on some things, but not others. So I know it's registering the clicks, just not on the windows I want them to.

Return to “Software & Applications”