Unable to locate wifi printer

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Important information

Unable to locate wifi printer

Postby lotech on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi there,

I am running the 64bits Cinnamon edition, and trying to setup a Brother printer, which the same printer worked fine with Ubuntu, as well as Android phone via apps, but I couldn't make LMDE to work with it. I tried to setup with the default CUPS config tool, it finds the printer and installed the driver, but the status is 'unable to locate.....", the URI is "dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J625DW._ipp._tcp.local/". I then use the Brother printer install tool, it download and install the printer no problem, since my printer is connected via DHCP, the Brother's tool that needs a fixed IP may not work, even I give it the address the printer still not printing, I never have so much problem with printer on Ubuntu I am completely lost here can anyone help ?
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unable to locate wifi printer

Postby mpiter on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 am

Same problem here with a Ricoh printer in the network. If you found a solution I would be happy to learn it. If I find one, I will post here my findings. Best regards.
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Unable to locate wifi printer

Postby mpiter on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:23 am

I solved my problem, but it will probably not fit your situation. I had to drop the DNSSD protocol for the simple socket one. I do not know why in Wheezy based the former was needed and the later is requested with Jessie based LMDE. Good luck.
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other networking topics