UP7 messes up system

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
timbo

UP7 messes up system

Post by timbo »

Sorry in advance, my report is highly unspecific. I updated my system for the third time now and each time it ended up being unusable. Launching a terminal, synaptic and various other programs will result in a short flickering and then... nothing. Right-clicking the desktop, it turns black and i lose the ability to do anything at all. Some programs such as chromium work just fine whereas other like the above mentioned don't work at all...

System is a clean install with cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: UP7 messes up system

Post by Monsta »

timbo wrote:System is a clean install with cinnamon.
You may have stumbled upon [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=146220]this[/url].

Can you access the console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1?
timbo

Post by timbo »

I'm pretty sure that on the second attempt I followed your instructions. Giving the upgrade another shot right now and I hope it somehow doesn't screw up the system this time.

EDIT: I gave up on it after another fruitless attempt. Switched to Wheezy for the time being.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

What theme are you running? I've only seen this behaviour if you select a non GTK3.6 friendly theme (where certain GTK applications close just as quick as they open, creating an illusion of "flicker").
timbo

Post by timbo »

I am using Zukitwo Colors: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=146290 which is indeed not compatible with gtk 3.6. So that may be the reason my system kept crashing. I can't replicate it or check with another theme as my laptop is running Wheezy now. Thanks though!

Return to “LMDE Archive”