Cinnamon 2.0 crashes on Ubuntu 12.04

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jchonig

Cinnamon 2.0 crashes on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by jchonig »

Cinnamon automatically updated from the PPA on my Ubuntu 12.04 systems. Now it always crashes on startup and goes into fallback mode. This also happens if I run ``cinnamon --replace''.

I'm running the latest Ubuntu 12.04 LTS updates on two systems:

1) ASUS 1015 Netbook, Intel graphics, 32-bit Ubuntu
2) DELL E6420, Nvidia graphics, 64-bit Ubuntu

Anyone seen this? Any suggestions for debugging?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grrrrr

Re: Cinnamon 2.0 crashes on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by grrrrr »

Try

Code: Select all

apt-get dist-upgrade
but be prepared for more problems...
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

I'm having some weird problems too. Just happened this week.

Cinnamon menu doesn't function properly - only some menus can be selected. Desktop icons have changed style. On boot, sometimes the desktop icons are not there. On the toolbar, several apps have the same icon so I cannot tell them apart. Ubuntu reports crashes from time to time.

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
Release:	12.04
Codename:	precise

$ cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 2.0.2
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Most posts telling how to go to Cinnamon 2.0 say 12.04 may have issues and recommend 12.10 or later.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
grrrrr

Post by grrrrr »

mintybits wrote:I'm having some weird problems too. Just happened this week.

Cinnamon menu doesn't function properly - only some menus can be selected. Desktop icons have changed style. On boot, sometimes the desktop icons are not there. On the toolbar, several apps have the same icon so I cannot tell them apart. Ubuntu reports crashes from time to time.
The following should fix the icon issues:

apt-get install gnome-icon-theme-*
grrrrr

Post by grrrrr »

dcrowder wrote:Most posts telling how to go to Cinnamon 2.0 say 12.04 may have issues and recommend 12.10 or later.
Well that just seems crazy.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

not crazy, some lib failed to build on precise (4 at the time of writing, maybe more when some users were updating earlier)
https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... er=precise
until it's all clear it's not safe to update if you are in 12.04/mint13
grrrrr

Post by grrrrr »

zerozero wrote:not crazy, some lib failed to build on precise (4 at the time of writing, maybe more when some users were updating earlier)
https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... er=precise
until it's all clear it's not safe to update if you are in 12.04/mint13
Upgrading your OS for the sake of some stability issues on a new version of a DM is extreme. It'd make more sense to advise holding off on upgrading to cinnamon 2.0 instead
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Nobody is telling him to upgrade. I agree most people should wait for Cinnamon 2 to hit official repositories.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
sun11

Post by sun11 »

My Ubuntu 12.10 also crashed...how can I fix it?Is it possible to downgrade cinnamon?
butapren

Post by butapren »

Same on all machines (Lenovo T510i) in our company running Ubuntu 12.04 with Cinnamon. After upragde and reboot Cinnamon crashes just after login and falls back into default mode. After running apt-cache showpkg cinnnamon I do not see the prvious version. How can I downgrade Cinnamon to 1.8 ?
ve1

Post by ve1 »

I got the exact same issue you all described with my Cinnamon DE on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS after a recent update a few days ago. Cinnamon was running fine and was my main DE. Just did my daily updates like I usually do (I guess Cinnamon 2.0.2 update occurred from the PPA) and since then the Cinnamon DE has been useless.

I can run in my Xfce DE and Unity DE sessions with no issues, so I'm not about to mess with my base system just for this Cinnamon DE inconvenience. But I would like to get my Cinnamon DE running again on Ubuntu 12.04. I'm not going to Ubuntu 12.10. That makes no sense.

If anyone knows how to fix Cinnamon 2.0.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 with certainty, it should be appreciated if you could list the details. Otherwise I will just wait until a proven patch/fix comes out in the regular updates to address this Cinnamon DE issue on Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks in advance.
jchonig

Post by jchonig »

Why was a stable repo upgraded with something that does not build? This seems to be the source of the problem. If it's not stable, don't put it into the repo.
purplegreen

Post by purplegreen »

Cinnamon on my Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 also crashes after the recent update, and I am also using the cinnamon PPA: https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... -[b]stable[/b]. Tried most related tips on the Internet (cinnamon --replace, re-install packages, yada yada yada) but none of them worked. I will appreciate if anyone knows how to fix the problem, or when the 'working' build will be released on the stable PPA. The update manager says 'Software updates correct errors, eliminate security vulnerabilities and provide new features', and many people prefer to use the LTS version, so please don't say something like 'why you update the package' or 'why don't you upgrade the OS'. Thanks.
ve1

Post by ve1 »

I've seen two additional updates to Cinnamon 2 DE (now at 2.0.4 on my system) since the first 2.0.2 PPA update rendered my Cinnamon DE on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS useless. Cinnamon 2.0.4 is still useless on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I can't believe a non stable version of the DE that they know will have issues was put into the PPA. After the initial assessment time I put into trying to fix the Cinnamon 2.0.2 DE, I was hoping one of the subsequent updates would eventually fix the issue. So far that strategy has not worked.

As mentioned already by a few people, it's crazy to mess with your core system just for a work around for the Cinnamon desktop issues caused by very poor version management. If anyone knows of a real fix for the Cinnamon DE (without going to 12.10, etc.) on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS it would be appreciated if they could detail the steps. Otherwise, I'm good working in my Xfce or Unity DE's until the people developing Cinnamon at Linux Mint realize what they have done and fix the issue. Thanks in advance.
grissly

Post by grissly »

I am not here to argue why this or that should or shouldn't have happened, or why it does or doesn't make sense. I just want to know (like 2 people have already asked, yet have not been answered) How do I revert/downgrade back to the version I had before? I don't even know the version I had before I upgraded.

Please, someone who is smarter than me, tell me how to do this.
jchonig

Post by jchonig »

A later update to cinnamon 2.0.x has fixed this issue on my laptop.

However, Cinnamon 2.0.14 crashes (and goes into Fallback mode) on my desktop when I use two monitors (configured as two separate screens). It works if the two monitors are set up to mirror. Same configuration as my laptop (Ubuntu 12.04, amd64, nVIDIA graphics). Any tips on how to get debugging information on why it crashes? I'd like to try to fix this problem or file a bug report.

Thanks.

Jeff

Return to “Cinnamon”