x server not running by defalt

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thunderstorm

x server not running by defalt

Post by thunderstorm »

hi ,

I installed mint 15 (mate desktop) a few days ago . usually the login prompt would be a graphical window . but now i am getting the tty terminal . so i login and pass startx to start up the graphical interface . when its time to shutdown i hit quit from the gui which returns me back to my terminal where i use shutdown command .

I have two issues :
1. why is it failing to connect to xserver at startup
2. once i hit shutdown -P 1 in my terminal , it usually does not shut down , it checks for battery status or trying to kill some process and gets stuck there .

Please help .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thunderstorm

Re: x server not running by defalt

Post by thunderstorm »

shutdown issue is resolved now . seems I have been trying it without logging out some users . Please help me out with starting up on mate gui session on startup
thunderstorm

Post by thunderstorm »

hi all ,

i added startx to .profile file and it seems to work fine now . is this the correct resolution ? Kindly help
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

How about if you re-install MDM ?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge mdm
sudo apt-get install mdm
thunderstorm

Post by thunderstorm »

hi administrollaattori,

i added startx to the .profile file and its working now . i dont know if its a correct implementation . Shall i go ahead and try the option given by you . I am not sure about how this mdm works . can you please help me understand it
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

thunderstorm wrote:hi administrollaattori,

i added startx to the .profile file and its working now . i dont know if its a correct implementation . Shall i go ahead and try the option given by you . I am not sure about how this mdm works . can you please help me understand it
If it works now, dot not break the working system .. :wink:
thunderstorm

Post by thunderstorm »

Sure. Thanks :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”