Complete Newb help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
William

Complete Newb help

Post by William »

Hi all,

Ok, years ago i ran Redhat, but I am completely lost now. I currently use XP and downloaded VMware Player and ran Linux Mint, however, upon boot, I get the Mint splashpage asking for my username and password, neither of which i have ever created. Sorry for the dumb question, thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Complete Newb help

Post by Husse »

There is no user and password for the live CD
Did you check the md5sum?
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ownloading
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I beg to differ.

I'm installing Mint Daryna KDE from the CE-lite CD iso. I walked away from the screen partway through the process. The screen went black with the screensaver, and I'm now stuck with a password lock to get back to the installer to finish the job.

Username: mint
Password: ??????
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

If anyone else gets stuck like this, I can confirm that the following solution works:

Ctl-Alt-Backspace forces logout of current session. Wait a little, and you're back to the graphical login. The default user for Mint is indeed mint/null. The password is indeed a null field (blank), but the screen lock doesn't accept a blank password field. So you're stuck. Force logout, and either reboot or login manually.

Return to “Installation & Boot”