VNC Viewer

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lowcountry

VNC Viewer

Post by Lowcountry »

After the recent upgrade, I can no longer connect to my lmde box through LAN.
Using Windows 7 & 8 with VNC Viewer, I get the following error:
Unable to connect to VNC Server using your chosen security setting. Either upgrade VNC Server to a more recent version from RealVNC, or select a weaker level of encryption
As the only LAN user, I have no encryption set up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lowcountry

Re: VNC Viewer

Post by Lowcountry »

Forgot to mention, I'm using the preinstalled VINO on the server end.
garybermuda

Re: VNC Viewer

Post by garybermuda »

I too had this problem, and ended removing vino, as I could not get it to work.

I have however managed to get x11vnc to work using the below page as a reference:
[url]http://seb.so/vnc-from-boot-without-logging-in-ubuntu-lubuntu-xubuntu-and-mint-lmde/[/url]

I did have to apply a few modifications to the above instructions as they did not work in their own right for me, I must have stuffed the mdm entry.
However as I don't need VNC to be working before a user has logged in, I made x11vnc start like vino, though it is not as straight forward as vino :(
  1. Install x11vnc package
  2. As per step 1, store the password, but also chown it to the user id that you use to log on. This is so further down when you start x11vnc you can start it without root.

Code: Select all

sudo x11vnc -storepasswd /etc/x11vnc.pass
    Change user:group to you user id ie. (if you are using a default set up) john:john

sudo chown user:group /etc/x11vnc.pass
  3. Next create the log file referenced in the command at step 2c, just save it empty ie. CTRL-O.

sudo nano /var/log/x11vnc.log
    Then as above chown it to your user.

sudo chown user:group /var/log/x11vnc.log
  4. Now grab the command listed at step 2c. Open the Menu (Linux start menu), and type Start in the search. Click Startup Applications.
  5. Add a new entry, type in a name eg. x1vnc server, and paste the command in the command box.

/usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -auth /var/lib/mdm/:0.Xauth -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
  6. Now restart you computer, and it should automatically start the vnc server.
My process does break the intent of the original instructions, as that was to start VNC before you log in. If you followed my drivel, then it should work like vino in that it only works when you have already logged in. But unlike vino, x11vnc actually works!

Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Return to “LMDE Archive”