upgrade to UP7, loss of MATE settings and other settings

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

upgrade to UP7, loss of MATE settings and other settings

Postby ddurdle on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 pm

I noticed that I can't avoid losing all my MATE settings during upgrade from UP6 to UP7. I did the upgrade on a 32bit system and the MATE theme settings were all reset to default, all the panels became Debian default. Even mate-terminal profile was reset to Debian default. Mate-power-manager even defaulted to the default settings.

What gives? I never had this happen when upgrading UP4, UP5, UP6, etc. Very annoying have to reset everything!!!

I thought it was just perhaps a bad upgrade, but I later upgraded a 64bit system on UP6 to UP7, and viola. Exact same thing happened. It was like booting into a brand new Debian system, as opposed to my existing LMDE setup.

I made sure I selected NO for any "do you wish to overwrite your existing configuration file with the new one?"
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: upgrade to UP7, loss of MATE settings and other settings

Postby Monsta on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Not really related to UP7 (technically, MATE is not a part of Update Pack; it's hosted in a separate repo at packages.linuxmint.com and is updated independently from UPs), but I agree it's annoying.

To keep a single-panel layout, you need to install/update mint-artwork-mate before you update MATE.
As for the other settings (like terminal profile), I've lost them too as you can see in my post in that thread. I don't have a solution, unfortunately.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby ddurdle on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Monsta wrote:Not really related to UP7 (technically, MATE is not a part of Update Pack; it's hosted in a separate repo at packages.linuxmint.com and is updated independently from UPs), but I agree it's annoying.

To keep a single-panel layout, you need to install/update mint-artwork-mate before you update MATE.
As for the other settings (like terminal profile), I've lost them too as you can see in my post in that thread. I don't have a solution, unfortunately.

Thanks, I will try your suggestion on the next system I upgrade (which will be today). I have a slew more to upgrade.

I think there is a way to export your terminal profile (I sort of recall doing it a long time ago). I have several profiles that I use depending on what I'm doing, and I was shocked to see them all gone and being dropped back to a black on white profile after the install. I've been hanging out with my friend LMDE since UP4 and I've never seen this happen. I have a checklist of things to check for updates (to determine if something critical broke that would require me to fallback). I have never had to check app settings, but since this UP7 update, I need to add them to the list since even the most fundamental things like power management settings are completely back to their vanilla state. I know everything is stored in config files in the user's directory, so it would be possible to resurrect them on an app-by-app basis, but it is still a mystery.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ddurdle on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Upgraded another machine having installed the package prior to upgrading. I guess the benefit there is that at least the panel stuck around afterwards, even though the mintmenu, mate-terminal, mate-power-manager, notification bar, and even the clock applet all reset themselves to out-of-box configuration.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues