Best mint version for programmers /developers /coders

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ratnmgn

Best mint version for programmers /developers /coders

Post by ratnmgn »

Hi all,

I used to use gnome 2.3 on ubuntu and it was perfect for coding my c++ , wxwidgets (codeblocks) , php and bash stuff.

Gnome 3 and Unity are just terrible for programmers, and I like to switch to Mint now. I was wondering if anyone prefered a specific desktop for their coding, and why?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igor83

Re: Best mint version for programmers /developers /coders

Post by igor83 »

ratnmgn wrote:Hi all,

I used to use gnome 2.3 on ubuntu and it was perfect for coding my c++ , wxwidgets (codeblocks) , php and bash stuff.

Gnome 3 and Unity are just terrible for programmers, and I like to switch to Mint now. I was wondering if anyone prefered a specific desktop for their coding, and why?

Thank you.
I don't think desktop matters very much from a programming point of view. I don't use Gnome3 or Unity mainly because of their reputation and what I have seen of Unity via reviews. I don't like the cell phone look of the Unity desktop. To each his own, but I like Xfce and KDE, because I can find what I need and do what I want. Just personal preference. I can easily install scripts files as right-click actions in Thunar, and XFCE has no problem running script files. I used to use Mate until one day I found I couldn't click to run a script file from the Mate desktop. That was the end of Mate for me. I think a case can be made for Xfce as using fewer system resources and therefore compiling stuff a little bit faster, but the difference probably is not that great. With Xfce and Gnome2 looking and feeling so similar, I don't know what the purpose of Mate was.

I really like Jedit as a source code editor, because it supports macros and has a ton of other cool features. I think text editor may be the most important choice for a programmer.
passerby

Post by passerby »

The DE shouldn't matter terribly (as long as it doesn't distract you from your IDE), but if gnome 2.3 was perfect for you, then I suggest using MATE.
I'm currently using MATE at work and home. The only issue I had was with ADT in Eclipse. Nothing you'll reproduce, from the sound of it.
Anyway, swapping DEs post-install is easy enough. I'd say to take MATE for a spin, and if it isn't what you want, install XFCE and give that a go.
xor10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xor10 »

Maybe you're not liking Gnome 3 and Unity because switching between applications is difficult in them, unlike other environments where you can click on the tabs of taskbar.
FreedomOfTheOpenCode

Post by FreedomOfTheOpenCode »

I prefer Cinnamon for coding. I've tried MATE a couple of times, but always come back to Cinammon for serious work. I can work more efficiently, and find things more easily in Cinnamon than in MATE or other distros I've tried.
Last edited by FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I use cinnamon for all my coding and artwork, I use it solely for this purpose as my workstation, I use kde for fun, but cinnamon gets out of my way and lets me work effortlessly.
Plus I can theme the heck out of it without slowing anything down :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”