Software Rendering Mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JN.Wilson

Software Rendering Mode

Post by JN.Wilson »

Linux mint 15 suddenly wouldn't boot, so I used the Windows mentality that if the door window won't roll down, replace the door. I re-installed Linux, but it isn't working like it did before. I get a message, "running in software rendering mode." Everything is extremely slow.

I'm on an XP Professional.

Jim Wilson
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Software Rendering Mode

Post by kukamuumuka »

Just a guess but I think that there is not enough room for Mint. Check the available space and clean a package cache.

Code: Select all

df -h
sudo apt-get clean
JN.Wilson

Post by JN.Wilson »

Thanks, but there is 5 Gb of free disk space. And it was running before with less than that.

Jim Wilson
JN.Wilson

Post by JN.Wilson »

I reset my XP to the state it was in before I started installing Linux and then re-installed it. Same result. The complete message displayed is:

Running in software rendering mode.

Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage.

There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue. For the best experience, it is recommended that you use this mode for troubleshooting purposes.

---

That's all I have to work with. No hint is offered as to how to troubleshoot anything.

Jim Wilson
JN.Wilson

Post by JN.Wilson »

I just checked in Windows, and the XP is set to full hardware acceleration.

Jim Wilson
passerby

Post by passerby »

Unless you're running Linux in a virtual machine, XP's settings won't make a difference.
The error is exactly what the message indicates: it's unable to utilize appropriate hardware acceleration.
Cinnamon requires hardware acceleration to run as intended.

Do you have a dedicated graphics card, are you using onboard graphics (ie. no graphics card), or are you running Linux in a virtual machine?
If you do have a graphics card, you should consider giving the proprietary drivers a go.
If not, or if you're in a virtual machine, I strongly suggest using a less graphics-intensive environment. eg. MATE instead of Cinnamon.
JN.Wilson

Post by JN.Wilson »

Thanks, but how do I tell if I'm in a virtual machine?

And the first installation worked properly. I'm not sure why it quit, nor why later installations were different.

Jim Wilson
passerby

Post by passerby »

A virtual machine is when you're using software like virtualbox to run more than one operating system at a time.
The second operating system has its own window, like a web browser or text editor, and acts like a normal application.
But if you don't know what a virtual machine is, you probably aren't running one.

Do you have a graphics card in your computer? Can you give us any information about your computer?
JN.Wilson

Post by JN.Wilson »

Many thanks. At startup, I can choose either Windows or Linux. I have to re-boot to change.

The computer is an XP Professional, Service pack 3
1.15 Ghz AMD Athlon
Main circuit board ECS K7SOM4 1.0
Bus clock 100 Mhz
41 Gb hard disk, 5 Gb free
608 Mb memory
Display adapter SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740

I couldn't find anything about a graphics card.

Again, the initial Linux installation worked fine, but then stopped, and I haven't been able to get it working properly again.

Jim Wilson
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

JN.Wilson wrote:I couldn't find anything about a graphics card.
Terminal command lspci | grep VGA tells the card.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Even without looking at your graphics card, I've gotta say, you shouldn't be running Cinnamon on a computer with those specs.
Cinnamon is graphics-intensive, and failing a good graphics card, can be resource-heavy. It really isn't meant for older computers.
I advise that you either download a different version of Mint (MATE, since the familiar layout will make it easy) or install another desktop environment.

To install another desktop environment:
-Open a terminal
-Run

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
and enter your password when prompted (nothing will come up while you're typing; this is normal)
-After the installation finishes, log out
-At the login screen, click on the sessions button and choose MATE
-Login
JN.Wilson

Post by JN.Wilson »

When I used the lspci formula, I got:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65xM650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adaptor.

I followed the instructions to convert to a MATE desktop, and many thanks for them. I'm back to where I was with the initial installation of Cinnamon, and getting used to it. But when I try to install a package, there aren't any. With the initial installation, I had far too many choices, but Wine was at the top of the list. How do I get that now?

Again thanks.

Jim Wilson
passerby

Post by passerby »

You could get it from Synaptic or the Software Center, but since we already have a terminal open, execute:

sudo apt-get install wine
or, if you're on a 64 bit install,

sudo apt-get install wine:i386
That being said, I recommend that you instead take a look at PlayOnLinux.
It allows you to install multiple versions of WINE, keep different applications separate, and has a more friendly user interface.
It also semi-automates the process of installing more popular software, such as MS Office 2007.
To grab that instead, execute:

sudo apt-get install playonlinux
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Just a comment: In that computer has not enough CPU, GPU, memory and room for running VirtualBox .. :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”