Too ambitious maybe?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OldChap

Too ambitious maybe?

Post by OldChap »

I should know better than to try fixing what is not broke....

I updated the Kernel of my Mint 14 Cinnamon install (to 3. 12 rc5). I have good reason for doing so but as they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.... so call me dangerous ;)

The actual update seems to be good.....but I can't get fglrx working again. and it is that, together with the new kernel, that I wanted to benchmark.

Setting of real/effective user Id to 0/0 failed
ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx': Operation not permitted
Error! Fail to load fglrx kernel module! Maybe you can switch to root user to load kernel module directly

Is what my program reported and running fglrxinfo just gave me the finger.

Have uninstalled, purged and re-installed to no avail

So, my question to you guys is:

Is this just a step too far for a beginner like me or more likely a simple mistake on my part? It looks like it could be a permissions issue but I would expect the package manager to deal with that ??

or

Is there likely a deeper issue at work where the two are incompatible ??

Note: all I did to go from working to not working is update the kernel. The package manager reports fglrx as installed but it does not run. Installing from CLI made no difference
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Too ambitious maybe?

Post by xenopeek »

fglrx, the closed source driver for AMD graphics cards, is probably not compatible with the latest kernel yet. Most closed source drivers have that problem I believe, with closed source development by its very nature always lagging and being a step behind the rest--as they do their development apart and separate from the Linux kernel (unlike companies that have open source drivers and actively contribute their code to the Linux kernel, like Intel does for its graphics chips).

Either get a graphics card with a driver included in the Linux kernel, if you want to run the very latest kernels, or don't run the very latest kernel (at least not with the closed source driver).
OldChap

Post by OldChap »

Once again it is you that comes to guide me... :D

Ok, so stupid question maybe; Open source drivers.... do they also contain the power saving features found in amdcccle?

As you might tell I have not needed to try one yet. Effectively my main interest is in open-cl being as good as it can be for the purposes of distributed computing using amd gpu's

Just a further observation: When "installed" the desktop changes, removing all but the file folder and start logo from the toolbar.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Always willing to help, but I'm not sure about that; I've stuck with Intel graphics chips for a long time because of all the problems with AMD and Nvidia closed source drivers. AFAIK, for any special needs you will most likely need the closed source driver, as the open source driver is perfectly fine for displaying graphics but can (AFAIK) be lacking support for more advanced features. You might pop a question in Hardware Support > Graphics Cards & Monitors forum, or if you are on IRC try and catch AlbertP there--he knows much more about AMD and Nvidia drivers than me :)

Return to “Other topics”