laptop recommendations under €600

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
zooks

laptop recommendations under €600

Post by zooks »

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new laptop, budget around 500/600 euros. I'd prefer to get something without windows pre-installed. It would be nice if all hardware works out of the box using mint. I'd like to use it amongst other things for watching films/series and some casual gaming, e.g. GuildWars2 (which runs fine on low settings on my linux desktop with wine (nvidia 9800gt). I was thinking about screen size 15.6" or less. Finally, it must be available in Europe (i.e. ship to the Netherlands).
What would you recommend, and why? Are my demands too high for the budget?

cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Re: laptop recommendations under €600

Post by Fraoch »

I am not sure if it is available in The Netherlands, but the only non-windows laptop available here is this one:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-model-datasheet/NX.V85AA.002

(ignore their overview, it seems to be misplaced). It's a business laptop, not too many bells and whistles. It runs Linpus Linux, but with no desktop environment installed. However the fact that Linpus is installed would certainly mean its components are supported in Linux, especially on a much more popular distribution like Mint.

On the plus side, the processor is fairly decent, Intel Core i3-2375M. Other laptops at the same price or even higher have weaker AMD A-series processors or Intel Pentiums - looks like instead of paying Windows OEM costs you get a better processor. On the negative side, the video is provided by the processor - HD 3000. I'm not sure it'll be enough to handle gaming.

Return to “Open Chat”