Help; Debian Screen; how do i fix it back?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merryoakparker

Help; Debian Screen; how do i fix it back?

Post by merryoakparker »

Hi,
I really need some help, please. I have upgraded an older back-up computer from LMDE (mate) via download manager and ended up with the upgrade, but it now opens with the Debian screen (blue-grey background and the Debian symbol in the middle) rather than the green Linux Mint Debian screen. How do I reset the screen to the original LMDE Green screen?
I am still running LMDE, not true Debian. I tried changing it on the log-in using the "middle Box) below my log-in name and password to "mate" and that didn't work.
Help would be appreciated here since I now have the Debian screen setup with the "applications," "Places," and "system" on the top bar, and I prefer the LMDE regular screen.
Thank you in advance for assistance with this fix.

merryoakparker
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizzler

Re: Debian Screen; how do i fix it back?

Post by grizzler »

You're still running MATE, right? Can't you just right click on the desktop background, select the bottom option from the menu (probably something like 'Change desktop background') and set the background you want?

With regard to the panel, you should be able to change things by right clicking on it or on one of the panel items and selecting a suitable option.
merryoakparker

Re: Help; Debian Screen; how do i fix it back?

Post by merryoakparker »

Grizzler,
Chapter 2
I did as you suggested and did get the green Linux Mint Debian Screen in place and was able to move the task bar to the bottom, but it still has "applications," "Places," and "system" and no menu button on the far left of this task bar, but a green button which can hide or show "applications," "Places," and "system." On the right side of this bar are the 4 green squares which indicate work windows, but no time, connectivity, or update manager shield. This bar comes and goes as I move the curser below the bar or into it.
Interestingly, as the system is booting up to my log-in box, I get a very brief (< 1 sec) flash of the blue grey Debian window.
And it is on line wirelessly so I can use it, but it is a pain to use with its present screen setup.

So my next problem is how to restore the task bar to show menu, connectivity, volume, update shield, and date and be able to put the Browser (Firefox) icon and my media player on this task bar.

I'm about to the point of backing up my files and re-installing LMDE (mate), but I have to use Unetbootin and boot from an external hard drive since this backup computer is ancient and cannot boot from USB and only has a cd drive, not a dvd/cd drive. Obviously, a "fix" of the present problems would be easier.

As I said, this older computer works and does run LMDE reasonably rapidly. I believe it is 12 or 13 years old as it has a 1.4 GHz Athlon chip, and I have upgraded the RAM from 256 to 1536 mb and the hard drive from an 80Gig to a 320 Gig one over the years. My computer guru keeps asking me about "old Number One" since he built it and is amazed that it is still running. It started life with Windows 98 and is now a dual boot one with Windows XP and LMDE. (160 Gigs of HDD devoted to each. I'm using a Laptop at work and running Windows 7, but like this "Old Number One" around just for fun.

Anyway, I'd appreciate further help in getting the LMDE out of the "Debian Mode" and back to where I started before the latest upgrade.

Thanks,
merryoakparker
grizzler

Re: Help; Debian Screen; how do i fix it back?

Post by grizzler »

As I mentioned before, you can change what the panel (what you call 'bar') looks like. If you right click on it you get a menu with several options, like Preferences (which you can use - among other things - to switch off the 'auto hide' function which appears to be 'on' currently). You can also add new items (applets) by selecting 'Add to panel' and installing the ones you want.

Removing or just moving installed panel applets is a matter of right clicking on the applet icon itself and selecting the right option from the menu.

I could suggest a few applets to install to get the setup you mentioned (time, connectivity, update manager, etc.) but that will lead to guesswork as I don't use an English setup so I'll have to guess the applets' names.

For the menu button you'll probably need the 'Main Menu' applet (the one currently installed is most likely the 'Menu Bar').
Next to that I would suggest 'Window list'. Running applications should show up there.
The 'Clock' applet obviously supplies time and/or date, the 'Notification Area' should contain the update shield and other notification icons, and there's also a separate 'Volume Control' applet.
In general, just add what you think could be useful and remove it again if it turns out to be less than that.

Return to “LMDE Archive”