LMDE: Gnome3 + MATE (gnome-shell-extensions)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mcurran

LMDE: Gnome3 + MATE (gnome-shell-extensions)

Post by mcurran »

Hi All:

I'm looking to get my extra gnome-shell-extensions working from https://extensions.gnome.org/ and I'm getting close. First of all I use nightly as my default firefox, and I couldn't get the gnome-integration plugin to work because it was mentioned as incompatible with firefox version 27, but then I decided to try the repo's firefox 24, and after a lot of work to flush out nightly and get back version 24, I was then able to install the plugin. Now the plugin works, but when I click the install for say the Wobbly Windows extension, it does nothing. So I tried nightly again with the plugin now activated, and I am still getting the same result: I click the OFF > ON button on the gnome.org page for the wobbly windows extension and then INSTALL, but then nothing is added to my file system. This could be a permissions issue, but I'm not sure how to figure it out...

I don't understand why anyone would decide to have the gnome desktop extensions depend on compatibility with Firefox and it's related plugins, which is a horrible decision IMHO, but regardless; there are no full packages available for download which would allow a manual install of each extension, if placed in the correct directory (no .css, make, or js.in, included with the .js and .jss files). I have installed unzip and have satisfied all the dependencies for getting these extra extensions (as far as I can tell), but haven't been able to get any of them working yet. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. I do have the standard extensions working and use the gnome-tweak-tool for configuring those...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mcurran

Re: LMDE: Gnome3 + MATE (gnome-shell-extensions)

Post by mcurran »

I just hate the complete change of gnome... No more nautilus for some reason, now we have Caja, and fancy web-dev-like java extensions... All a bunch of horseshit IMO. Is java supposed to be more streamlined or did gnome just cheap out and steal the latest android OS development software. I mean go all the way: Compiz and the standard Nautilus gnome2 desktop was pissa. Some fancy desktop UI could have been developed upon the existing base. I just can't believe the mess it became and is now. Thanks Clem for maintaining a somewhat MATE/OLD-GNOME desktop still working, but Christ, somebody has got to make a decision... Sorry for venting, but I'm sure the whole gnome desktop userbase is really pissed-off as well - including Linus himself... and respectfully so, since the majority of our linux packages are clean and built on gtk. Did everybody just give up and leave gnome in the hands of a bunch of pot head undergrads or something? Whoever is maintaining it should be ashamed: No kidding the old developers don't want to go back and keep reprogramming their awesome work, it's up to everyone else to build on-top, not just throw it away cause we like a little windows fading our fancy phone can use. It's crap and it's built like crap because it's meant to work on ATMEL chips! Now our desktops are destroyed - and everyone is bored and falling in the hole with you. If anyone knows a huge project that is aimed at fixing this catastrophe, please let me know where to get it, cause it'll save me and whoever else agree's.
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

Several things: I use Gome shell in debian stable with firefox 21 and it works perfectly. Are you behind a proxy?.

If you are not, you have several options:

First: Make sure you have the plugin enabled (just write about:plugins in the navigation bar and press enter). If it is not, just upgrade gnome shell.
Second: Check you have installed the extensions in /usr/local/gnome-shell/extensions . If so, copy them and paste in /home/YOUR USER NAME/ .local/gnome-shell/extensions. You can also manually download the extensions from the developer web page, and copy in this folder.
Third: You can try and use Chromium to istall the extensions (you should enable the plugin by typing about:plugins in the naviation bar)
Fourth: Reset Gnome: [url=http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/resetting-gnomes-settings-ubuntu]here[/url] you can see how to do it in Ubuntu , in LMDE should be the same. You can also try to purge Gnome and reinstall it again

FYI, Caja is not Gnome is MATE. You don't have to use GNOME 3 or its extensions, if you like the old GNOME 2, you can always use MATE or SOLUSOS. The best thing about Linux is that if you don't like one thing you can always find an alternative
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

fancy web-dev-like java extensions... All a bunch of stuff IMO. Is java supposed to be more streamlined or did gnome just cheap out and steal the latest android OS development software
Gnome Shell and Cinnamon use javascript, not java. If you want to use a compiz-compatible Gnome2-like desktop, you have to go to MATE or XFCE. GS and Cinnamon use their own compositing engine, hence not compatible with compiz effects.
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

thanks for the tips rop75. I appreciate it. I'm trying them out now. I had my extensions installed in a source directory in opt for custom built plugins and also the standard MATE release directory/package directory /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions: So I symlinked that directory to the three you mentioned. I believe it might be a permissions issue since my firefox obviously runs mostly as my username and not root. Maybe a reboot and a permissions fix will get it going...

Is there a nice way to use MATE with gnome2 and have the MATE/caja/gnome3 still installed with both being available in gdm to select? Just like the Cinnamon vs. MATE option that I've seen? I just don't want to break stuff, and I know I will probably break gnome3 by installing all the libboost and other deps needed for compiz and gnome2. Would I need a chroot or would it just be easier to create a separate dedicated partition/install? I just think that would be an awesome idea for those who do not like cinnamon or xfce. Do either of these use nautilus? I think nautilus provided the most user friendly customization options, such as emblems and other menu/UI items. Please let me know what you think about this guys...
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

eanfrid: Is it possible to install a separate dekstop with gnome2+compiz and have it as a selection within MDM? That would be key, I could try cinnamon plus compiz, but I love nautilus. I just don't want to setup a whole new install on another partition,and that would be a great implementation: LMDE 201303 (gnome3/gnome-shell) | LMDE FALLBACK-MODE (gnome2+compiz) | LMDE 201303 w/ my own custom kernel/mods.

Return to “LMDE Archive”