Font size very small

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grantus

Font size very small

Post by grantus »

Just installed Mint 12 LXDE and the fonts are all small. I made them bigger under settings and the window title bar is bigger but the rest are not. The desktop icon text and especially the panel font is very small and I don't see any way to change it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Miami592

Re: Font size very small

Post by Miami592 »

Do you have a large monitor set to a high resolution?
grantus

Post by grantus »

Yes, I have a big widescreen tv. Never had this issue with any other version of Linux.
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Try adjusting your screen resolution.

In Mint LXDE you need to install a resolution changer.

Go to Terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install lxrandr" type in your password when asked.

Once it is installed go to Menu->preferences->monitor Settings.

Let me know how it works out.

M5
grantus

Post by grantus »

Ok thanks, I'll play with the size settings.
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

I'm told that lxrandr is included in the final release. That should make it easier.

Try Menu->Preferences->Monitor Settings. Should be there.
argon99

Post by argon99 »

Changing the resolution is not the thing to do. That changes everything that is on the screen. All that is needed is to increase the font size but for some reason that is not an option. I am having the same problem using a Viera TV. The solution is to have a way to increase the font size of the icon fonts. It seems that everything else can be changed except that. I have been looking at the GTK developer site and there is something about Pongo fonts, what ever that is. but it seems far to low level just to change the fonts under the icons.

Using Mint, or any linux distro, as a home theater has different issues then a desktop system. If you start mucking about with the resolution you get yourself into overscan problems. The only way I found to fix the overscan issues is with undocumented commands to the nvidia driver. So the suggestion to change the resolution is a desktop answer that doesn't work with a home theater system.

So if anybody understands how GTK sets up the font engine please speak up so those of us that are using mint as a home theater system can get a decent and readable font.

I use a work around for now. I use x11vnc and log into my HT from my laptop. This allows me to read what is on the screen but is far from an ideal solution.

The only help I have found for the fonts size is changing the desktop icon font size. That is done from control center->personal->appearance->fonts->desktop fonts. This allows you to change the size of the fonts on the icons of the desktop but does nothing for the fonts inside Caja or any other file manager.

I think this points to a design philosophy problem. When a program starts up it should check to see what the default sizes of the desktop items are. This goes for icons as well as fonts and then set the sizes to be consistent. That is not being done. As far as I know no program checks the system for default sizes of anything. And that is the root of the problem.
rkonrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkonrad »

I notice that this thread ends without a solution. I have the same problem with my Mayo 15 xfce version. The fonts for icons, menus, search bars and more, etc are too small to read. Anything else, like text through browers is fine. Full resolution, 1600x900 is the only way to fill the screen of my big screen tv. A smaller resolution works fine though for proportional viewing of these fonts but it fills a small portion of my screen. Also, I am connected through the pc monitor port and not the hdmi one as my computer is older. When I start my computer, the tv gives me the message "non-recommended signal - check output" or something very close to that. Generally , the display is awesome and movie files play extremely well - it's just the font issue which makes navigating around the menu and reading files within Thunar impossible. Thanks in advance.

Richard
saidhabla

Post by saidhabla »

Hi
Using XFCE Mint 12, Nvidia graphics, 32 bits with a LG LCD projector.
I just had the same problem and came here to find a solution... in the meanwhile I figured it out.
Just open:
Control center - Appearance - Fonts (the third tab from the left)
In the bottom you will notice a box with a couple of arrows, just move that and the fonts will get fixed.
I hope this helps, anyway if anything is not clear, you can send me a message.
Sorry for my bad English.
Best regards.
praveenmax

Post by praveenmax »

For people who didnt find a solution,
Go to Appearance - > Fonts (tab) and uncheck "Custom DPI Settings".
I had this issue when working on large LCD screen. Disabling custom DPI solved the issue for me...
Soullesswars

Post by Soullesswars »

Thank you, going through appearance has also fixed mine as well.

Return to “Software & Applications”