How do you guys deal with Linux haters? O.o

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ericramos1990

How do you guys deal with Linux haters? O.o

Post by ericramos1990 »

Sooner or later, you are going to come accross an Apple or Microsoft elitist. How do you guys deal with them?

I honestly don't need help with this topic, I am just curious what other arguments that us fellow tux lovers say.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nerdtron

Re: How do you guys deal with Linux haters? O.o

Post by nerdtron »

Nah dah.. I used to show off how I awesome Linux is. But I found it not effective as it just makes you look a "trying hard nerd". They won't follow suit.

I just ignore them and I just do my work as usual. When they see you get your job done and efficiently on Linux that is where they become curious and begin to ask questions. Also sooner or later they run into problems that is where Linux may be option to them. :)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Ask them what they like about it. Ask them if there's anything they don't like about it. When they get curious why you are asking, just tell them you use Linux and was wondering about the system they used. Don't bash their garden of delight or discomfort. If they ask you about Linux, offer to give or mail them a CD or DVD, let them know they can try it out without disturbing windows by booting from it. If they say not interested, ask them if you can get a Windows (or Apple) CD that will boot and run their system to check it out. Of course they can't do that. "Oh, I guess it's not free. Well, if you change your mind, let me know, I can give you a free operating system to try".
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
elverion

Post by elverion »

99% of the time they are uninformed. With Apple fanboys, it is really easy to get them to give up. Just ask them why they think Mac is "the best" OS. They will give you bullshit answers that are easy to shoot down. For example:
1) Because of the software! I use Photoshop. Respond: "You don't need a Mac to use Photoshop. Actually, it works better under Windows. You can also use GIMP."
2) Because it has no viruses! Respond: "Yes it does. A lot of them, actually. And if that's your excuse, why don't you use Linux, which is even more secure?"
And so on. Eventually they will have to admit the only reason they really like Macs is because they heard from some jackass that doesn't know anything about computers how "cool" they are and they just want to fit in with the "cool" crowd. They will still refuse to be open-minded. Marketing is a powerful thing and it takes a lot to reverse the brain-washing.

So, really, in the end, you're probably better off just not bothering.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Since I usually work with other developers, I'm not "that linux guy", most of us are linux users :P
I haven't really dealt with anybody who claims to hate linux. Some people look on with reverence because to them linux is still that CLI distro that's impossible to master. Others might be curious, but don't really say anything.
I can only recall one person who really had a negative attitude towards linux. They used to work for Microsoft, so they always took offense to MS jokes. It was always a "live and let live" situation; you don't bag my distro, I don't bag yours.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here as this isn't a support request.

"live and let live" sounds good :) As an analogy; how would you convert a vocal supporter of another sports team to become instead a supporter of your sports team? I guess you know how futile that will be. So when faced with an--as you say--elitist supporter of another operating system, just keep the peace and let everybody use whatever works best for them--as we like to say around here :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

@ xenopeek

You gave the best answer I have ever read to this kind of question! :)
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

I don't know any Linux haters. I know one person who couldn't install Kubuntu on her computer and after trying once, decided that "Linux sucks" - at least for her.

Whatever. When she's at my house using my computer she forgets it's Linux and just uses it for her Facebook, Instagram, and Google Docs.

We don't talk about about our OSes, but she is impressed that a computer as old as mine can run so fast and be so simple to use. Maybe she'll want my OS on her old computer when support for Windows XP ends. Her computer won't support Windows 7 or 8. She already knows Linux is free, and she's already familiar with Linux Mint Xfce because she uses it when she comes to my house, so who knows, maybe Linux won't suck forever.

~nilla
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

It's simple for me, most people I know don't even know Linux exists, let alone "hate it". And almost all of them use Windows of some variety, I only know one Mac user.
I wiped XP from an old laptop of mine, installed Mint 13, gave it to a friend. They forgot the log in password and called in someone from the local pc repair shop (long established) they failed too and instead of calling me for help the "expert" took it away and re-installed XP! I even had the original install discs but they failed even to ask for them. Ignorance can be expensive. I don't even bother myself to mention Linux, I find I am met by a blank expression.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
helterskelter

Post by helterskelter »

Just smile. Then give them a "you poor thing" expression.
I'm not in the least bothered by their attitude towards Linux,more concerned with their attitude towards "glazing"!

eddie
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eggnog »

The term "Microsoft elitist" made me giggle.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

xenopeek wrote:Moved here as this isn't a support request.

"live and let live" sounds good :) As an analogy; how would you convert a vocal supporter of another sports team to become instead a supporter of your sports team? I guess you know how futile that will be. So when faced with an--as you say--elitist supporter of another operating system, just keep the peace and let everybody use whatever works best for them--as we like to say around here :wink:
I agree. :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I sometimes point out the misrepresentations being offered by such a poster
--however the usual best method if it is an obvious troll user, is simply ignoring it, as well as alerting the forum moderators of a possible troll

The problem is some people are fans and will suggest there is only one right way: their OS distributor's choice, whether that is on a Linux, windows or Apple OSX system
--there are also fights abouts Linux choices of desktops (KDE Gnome or simpler XFCE or LXDE or others), as well as preferred distributions

These issue all tend to be trendy
--what is the most popular OS (in Linux) what desktop is the most popular, as well, as often biased reviewers who proselytize their own particular choice

The only other issue I have is people who say they know a particular OS, but have no understanding of the underlying OS process, as in where my files go
--I can for example use windows OS for years, never touch the command line or know anything about the dos based file management structures and the history of device name (A: B: C: etc) used by windows as in this example and think I know how the OS + desktop works..
  • "I don't"
Same problem for an Apple OSX user or a Linux user, who have never checked into the FHS system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesyste ... y_Standard
--the agreed upon file structure (with some vendor changes) that any Linux distributor will use..
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

In the old days, we took them out back, and shot them. :lol:
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Crewp wrote:In the old days, we took them out back, and shot them. :lol:
That would be expensive............
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
stewie

Post by stewie »

I just throw them into the Iggy Bin and let them rot for some reason these fan boy's need to hunt us down and kill us? this just goes to show what Corporate America has done to people
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

I've never met any Linux haters as such, apart from one person who thinks anything free can't possibly be any good. I've met a great many people who've never heard of it.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cornleader »

Ignore them. It's not worth my time trying to convert or convince them that linux is better for everyday use. I use windows at work because I am forced to however my company does use linux servers but not as work stations. Using software for profit changes things.

In my home I use linux as much as possible but for some games and Netflix I use Windows. At home I have a dedicated powerhouse windows machine for gaming, a dedicated Debian server, an old dedicated laptop running lubuntu or bodhi, (I forget lol), a high end gaming laptop dual boot windows/mint, I run ddWRT on my router and a Raspberry Pi running Pimame for my mame cabinet.

I have no problem admitting I use both. Some times you have to use the right tool for the job. I don't believe you should force your opinions on people. If windows works for you then hey, who am I to say it's the wrong choice. I just convinced my friend to dual boot win 8.1/Mint. He is a basic PC user. Social media, Netflix, torrents, gaming. I am showing him that he can do almost everything on linux with the exception of netflix. I Enjoyed the challenge of trying to get everything working on a new laptop, EFI, cheap hardware, no driver support etc.

Windows people have no choice due to software limitations, Mac people just want to be trendy but most linux users seem to be a bit more tech savvy.

"I just installed linux on my toaster!"
-"why?"
"Because I can!!!"
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Im dealing with Linux not informed people but one of them was not so well "impressed" by Linux. He said me "why I need to use Linux when I know how to use Windows", "why Im making my life harder with Libre Office when I can use M$ Office", "why to use free software when I can get for "free" Windows". I wasn't well prepared to answer but little by little I explained why. He accepted my point of view but still he is not very happy with my idea why to use this thing when I can have Windows.

I have simple plan to deal with him: I will gift him one Live CD with my Cinnamon desktop (which he saw by the way) and say him that this will help him if his Windows is infected and his AV is helpless. I think in this way he can appreciate Linux. :)
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Well the old adage "Can Lead a Horse to Water" comes to mind.

I just choose to wait for individuals that are fed up with Windows than trying to outright convert them.
When they are happy with their Windows and fulfills their needs. Then I leave them to it then wasting time with a uphill battle.

I've run Win7 for 6 years without issues about viruses,malware,etc.. But that is based on knowledge and experience building,installing and repairing computers. The numbers out there are outstanding of the majority that are too lazy to even backup their personal data or change their unsafe practices on the internet. Alone how to remove and check their system clean state. They just want to Click n' Go and the little to learn the better.

Too get them to change over to a new OS and change the way they are accustomed to is a losing battle.
Now if an individual that has "Had It!" and willing to take the time and is inclined to learn a new way.
So much the better and easier to help and point towards Linux as a viable option.

Return to “Open Chat”