ATI4570(oldGPU) setup for multidesktop (mint13/cinnamon)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baumann

ATI4570(oldGPU) setup for multidesktop (mint13/cinnamon)

Post by Baumann »

Hello,

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux name 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
in the attached picture, you can see , that cinnamon is not working at all, if connected with a "sony SDM S95FR" LCD display.

I cant update the kernel, because GPU drivers are not supported by newer kernel versions.
Switching back to one screen mode makes cinnamon appear after reboot.
Display manager is not recognizing LCD (while Xinerama disabled).
Please look at the picture and notice that every time I reboot the system, i get new duplicates of items in the panelbar.

I`m a bit clueless how to get cinnamon working on both screens.

Thank you for your support.
baumann
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TxLnx

Re: ATI4570(oldGPU) setup for multidesktop (mint13/cinnamon)

Post by TxLnx »

I don't have an answer for your problem, but I'm perplexed at why ATI and the open source community have dropped driver support for these allegedly older GPUs and chipsets. I just bought a new computer in 2012 that has the Radeon HD 4200 (RS880) integrated gpu and now find that it's no longer supported beyond kernel 3.4, less than 2 years after purchase. This has caused nothing but big problems for many users, just look at all the posts concerning HDMI and gc issues. I don't know who thought up this strategy, but it's a terrible one.

Return to “Cinnamon”