fluxbox memory

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xvedejas

Re: fluxbox memory

Post by xvedejas »

why is it around 196mb on mint with fluxbox?
I have no idea. This doesn't sound right to me; running gnome only uses about 124mb on my machine...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have AntiX running on an old Dell, it is Fluxbox based. AntiX is using 30 MB of RAM at startup. AntiX is built different than any other Fluxbox based system I have tried. AntiX uses a 2.6.22 kernel and it does not use very many gnome packages. Slim is used in place of GDM and nothing extra is set to run at start up. This is one of the most interesting light systems I have ever seen. IceWM is included as well on the 359 MB ISO. This distro will save many machines from the scrap heap!

Fluxbuntu ran horrible on the same machine.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

mintUpdate was probably about 60MBs, but the update is suppose to help lower that.
Also there are other things that are autostarted, like wicd and the desktop icons.
These can be removed by editing the config file.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I think that the memory use in the Fluxbox Edition can be fixed with a little fine tuning. I recently was experimenting with Mint Fluxbox on an old pc and got the memory use down by quite a bit. I disabled the services I did not need to run, it gained me 33 MB of RAM.

We will have to wait for the Elysa version and see how things look.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

hi,

196MB seems a bit too much if i remember correctly... i don't remember it being that high.

anyway, right now on the Elyssa ISO i have so far, on a fresh install with all the default applications running, at boot it is using 26% of 256MB RAM (according to conky) which would mean 66.56MB RAM. After removing the applications that are started by the fluxbox startup script i am getting 15% of 256MB at boot, which is 38.4MB. The figures were somewhat similar for the Daryna Beta... and I think this is pretty good.

If you further want to slim things down you can turn off services... like CUPS, bluetooth, etc... and i'm sure you will get closer to something that you are looking for... but you would be wrong to think you can have a very light system and keep all the bells and whistles... I have said it before... I am not aiming for another DSL... I like the lightness and speed of fluxbox but i also want the functionality, ease of use and aesthetics of Mint. and that is how Linux Mint Fluxbox came about... in search of a good compromise.

One more thing... seeing that you are a new Linux user, there is something you probably do not know. Linux and Windows (XP at least) handle RAM very differently. Windows tries to empty out RAM and keep as much as it can free... whereas Linux tries to fill it up. Why? you may ask... this is because memory in RAM is accessed many, many times faster than memory in swap (page files) on the HD... and so having as much as possible cached in RAM actually improves performance! This is probably why you are getting the large figures on RAM usage... search on google... i'm sure you'll find better explanations from others in the know...

anyways... enough ranting... cheers.

PS. if you really want something that is super small... then I suggest you go for a distro that was meant to be super small... like DSL or Puppy... even the PCLinuxOS trimmed down distro which has OB and FB... i forget the name of it...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If he wanted to, he could have use 'top' to figure out what was using the memory space, he's just come back three times to complain because he doesn't know what he's doing. No comparative analysis or anything, it doesn't matter, any 2.6 kernel is going to use more than what he's used to. I never heard the specs on any system or the name of another disto that even compares, chances are he's tried everything and nothing will fit the memory footprint he thinks he needs.

ShadeTree
You could at least use proper punctuation in your attempt to insult me. (run on sentences) :mrgreen:

exploder
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

for historical reference... this was the post where i proposed the goals of Mint FB...

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39017#p39017
dennyhalim.com

Post by dennyhalim.com »

i got just what you're looking for.
http://wiki.dennyhalim.com/ubuntu-minimal-desktop

Return to “Software & Applications”