ubuntu Debian packages???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
symon1980

ubuntu Debian packages???

Post by symon1980 »

Ok this might be a dumb question, but i want to make sure.
I've been using pclinuxos, which is a fork of Mandriva, but your not suppose to install mandriva rpm packages on
pclinuxos, it will end up hosing your system......
So, my question is.... Is it 100% safe to install ubuntu debian packages on linux mint?
thanx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lantesh

Re: ubuntu Debian packages???

Post by Lantesh »

Ubuntu packages are 100% safe to install in Mint. In fact Mint uses the Ubuntu repositories. I have also installed Debian packages in Mint, but I don't know for certain if all are 100% compatible or not.
symon1980

Re: ubuntu Debian packages???

Post by symon1980 »

oh yeah, thats right. for a second i forgot mint uses ubuntu repo's :)
I might come back to mint full time from pclinux, they are both imo the best kde distro's available,
only downfall for pclinux is that if you want to install an rpm package, you have to wait for them to
compile it for pclinux and put it in their repo, which sux. Its a petty that they havn't made mandriva rpm's
100% compatible. because it restricts the distro from installing the latest packages, such as wine 1.0 for example,
i wanna give it a try.
anyways. cheers :)

Return to “Software & Applications”