"gnome-shell : Depends: gjs (>=1.35.4) but it is not going to be

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jackmetal

"gnome-shell : Depends: gjs (>=1.35.4) but it is not going to be

Post by jackmetal »

Wow.... It's been about a month since I upgraded (I had noticed there were about 900+ packages to be updated so I held off until I was at home). Well, now I'm no longer able to get a graphical desktop. Tried the debian-system-adjustments fix, no go.. Determined my gnome-shell was a problem.. At the moment I'm getting the unmet dependencies error "gnome-shell : Depends: gjs (>=1.35.4) but it is not going to be installed" error.

This was a clean install, with gnome-shell, gnome-session, extensions and tweak-tool added. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: "gnome-shell : Depends: gjs (>=1.35.4) but it is not goi

Post by Monsta »

Have you read [url=http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/update-pack.html]the UP release notes[/url] before the upgrade?
jackmetal

Post by jackmetal »

Morning Monsta!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I saw that before I did the upgrade but unfortunately that didn't resolve the issue. When I try to install the older version I get the following:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install -t testing gnome-shell libgjs0c gjs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libgjs0c is already the newest version.
libgjs0c set to manually installed.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gnome-shell : Depends: gir1.2-mutter-3.0 (>= 3.4.1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: gir1.2-soup-2.4 but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libcogl-pango0 (>= 1.7.4) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libcogl9 (>= 1.7.4) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libebook-1.2-13 (>= 3.4.4) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libecal-1.2-11 (>= 3.4.4) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libedataserver-1.2-16 (>= 3.4.4) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libedataserverui-3.0-1 (>= 3.4.4) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmutter0 (>= 3.4) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmutter0 (< 3.5) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libsoup2.4-1 (>= 2.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: gnome-shell-common (= 3.4.2-12) but 3.8.4-4 is to be installed
               Depends: gnome-settings-daemon (>= 3.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: gsettings-desktop-schemas (>= 3.3.2) but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: gnome-contacts but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: gnome-control-center but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: gnome-session-fallback but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: gnome-user-guide but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I've been using LMDE since day one, even following testing and sid, and this is the first time it's hosed me.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Try aptitude, it will tell you more about the dependencies:

sudo aptitude -t testing install gnome-shell
jackmetal

Post by jackmetal »

Monsta wrote:Try aptitude, it will tell you more about the dependencies:

sudo aptitude -t testing install gnome-shell
Good Idea... I've stayed clear of aptitude for a couple years.

It looks like if I remove mdm it will work..Got the following option:

The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:      
1)     mdm                               

Install the following packages:     
2)     gjs [1.36.1-2 (testing, unstable)]
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

That's strange. One of my virtual machines with LMDE has both MDM and gjs 1.36 installed, so they can coexist.
Did aptitude offer any other options?
jackmetal

Post by jackmetal »

Monsta wrote:That's strange. One of my virtual machines with LMDE has both MDM and gjs 1.36 installed, so they can coexist.
Did aptitude offer any other options?
Yes, I tried a couple of the options it offered. First, removing mdm - still gave issues even with gdm3.. Then I attempted the other option it gave which was to downgrade mdm and now all I get is a black screen. :-( I'm really beginning to miss my plain Debian install (I should have done the upgrade in one of my VM's before doing it on my production laptop), now for the first time in years I'm having to boot into Windows to get work done today. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to dig into it and try to fix it before I blow it away and move back to debian (or maybe I'll try the new solydx I just downloaded - although that's a bummer.. I really liked LMDE, at least until they moved away from the real gnome environment and started cobbling together the current one - although it's not completely horrible. ;-)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

You can also try LightDM. It doesn't have many dependencies, I think there shouldn't be any conflicts with gnome-shell.

Return to “LMDE Archive”