Horrible distortion on Skype sounds only

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Horrible distortion on Skype sounds only

Post by momist »

I don't know where to look for this. My system is a new(ish) motherboard, MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 with on board sound and AMD A75 chipset. Although capable of 4/5.1/7.1 channel modes, I use only the green line-out socket to feed a set of Logitech speakers. 2+bass.

The sound works pretty well in everything except the Skype notification tones, which are broken, horrible and crackly. Very occasionally, it comes through cleanly, but mostly it's horrible, sometimes just a harsh white noise. I thought I had cured it by installing the pulse volume control, and adjusting the system sounds, but it was only a temporary fix. Other system sounds seem clean enough now, although none last as long as a Skype notification. Music sounds very good, as does audio from Youtube etc.

Maybe this is a case of inappropriate drivers for the motherboard, or simply because the non updated Skype doesn't work well in Linux any more (but I didn't notice a problem before I changed the Mobo). Can anyone point me in a suitable direction to look?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
MartianStorm
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Horrible distortion on Skype sounds only

Post by MartianStorm »

I'm using an AuzenTech X-Fi and I have the same issue. The source of the problem is Pulse itself.
hexabit

Post by hexabit »

I don't know if this is related but on my Linux Mint 16 XFCE amd64 when I install ai32-libs
I had the same sound distortion on Skype, when I uninstalled those libs the sound back to normal again...
nomko

Post by nomko »

There's some solution given here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/get-sound-working-in-skype-with-ubuntu.html. Maybe that fixes your problem(s).
hexabit

Post by hexabit »

nomko wrote:There's some solution given here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/get-sound-working-in-skype-with-ubuntu.html. Maybe that fixes your problem(s).
Acctually when I tried this solution it got worse... for me worked also this:

Code: Select all

$ nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
and add "tsched=0" at the end of line, so it reads:

load-module module-udev-detect use_ucm=0 tsched=0
MrD

Post by MrD »

hexabit wrote:
nomko wrote:There's some solution given here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/get-sound-working-in-skype-with-ubuntu.html. Maybe that fixes your problem(s).

I lost my sound icon in the taskbar after doing this. My volume control buttons don't work either. I had Skype audio, but so did everyone down the corridor in my accommodation. Either that or I had to use an external speaker and lower the volume manually on that.....
sheldon-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sheldon-mint »

I found the solution, and a cause of the problem, on [url]http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/get-sound-working-in-skype-with-ubuntu.html[/url].

The first thing I did was to add my username to the pulse-access group, using the command

gpasswd -a paul pulse-access
That worked for about 5 minutes, and then returned to the distortion.
The second thing I did was read the above webpage, and modify file /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop, change the 'Exec=' line to read 'Exec=env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype %U'.

The single command to do this is

sudo sed -i 's/^Exec=.*/Exec=env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype %U/' /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
MartianStorm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartianStorm »

hexabit wrote:

This worked for me in LM15, now the issue is back in LM16 and the above solution doesn't work anymore, instead pulse fails to load when I add this line to the config file. In addition, now I can't even listen to music with foobar without sound artifacts. Pulse is gettin' better 'n' better with every iteration... :?

Return to “Sound”