UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tomisnt

UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Post by tomisnt »

I have a multiboot machine with Mint Olivia, LMDE, and windows as OSes. I haven't been able to boot LMDE ever since I did the UP7. I get a message saying, "There was an error loading the theme linuxmint. Couldnt reconize the image file '/usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg "

I haven't had time to post here until now. Anyone have any ideas how I might repair this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Post by cwsnyder »

I would log in to your Linux Mint Olivia or use a Live disk first. Now go to your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg and copy the file to either your /home/<username>/ folder or other convenient folder, then simply copy a known good image from your /home/<username>/Pictures folder or other source over the top of /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg, overwriting it, for now, until you find out what the problem is.
tomisnt

Post by tomisnt »

cwsnyder wrote:I would log in to your Linux Mint Olivia or use a Live disk first. Now go to your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg and copy the file to either your /home/<username>/ folder or other convenient folder, then simply copy a known good image from your /home/<username>/Pictures folder or other source over the top of /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg, overwriting it, for now, until you find out what the problem is.

Thanks, I tried this a couple times. I got the same response. One correction it states:

"There was an error loading the theme linuxmint. Couldnt reconize the image file format for file '/usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg "
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

The best I can advise you would be to rename (mv) your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg file to something like /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg.bak , logout, then choose your background manually from the desktop settings.

Return to “LMDE Archive”