Display after Installing ATI driver stuck at 1024x768

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amiit8

Display after Installing ATI driver stuck at 1024x768

Post by amiit8 »

Hi,

I accidentally installed Ati driver version 11(ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run) in Linux Mint 14(Nadia). Now display is fixed at 1024x768. I tried removing the fglrx drivers through various methods. But still the AMD Catalyst control center is present in the System Preferences.

While trying to install the latest version 12(amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.run) from AMD site, I am not able to see what text is there in the dialog boxes that comes afterwards.

Creating the deb installers from the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.run also fails.

Running this command:
amit@amint14 /etc $ cat /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
gives me this output:
./amd_dcm32: No supported adapters detected

If anybody has any idea, how I can revert back to normal drivers or install the amd driver, please suggest.

System:
Dell Studio 1555
Ati Mobility 4570
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Display after Installing ATI driver stuck at 1024x768

Post by tdockery97 »

The ATI 4xxx series of graphics is no longer supported in Linux by the ATI folks. The option going forward is to use the opensource (Gallium) driver that is provided by default. I'm in the same situation, and with the opensource driver I still have all the effects available in Cinnamon.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
amiit8

Post by amiit8 »

Hi tdockery97,
Yes, it was running smoothly. Is there any way I can get back to the default driver and have my cinnamon look good again.
Thanks.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Mint 14 is not released, discussion of RC issues is requested at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2205
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
crushkittykitty

Post by crushkittykitty »

-- sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
-- sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
to remove old drivers
pelleoss

Post by pelleoss »

So now I am in funny situation.
I cannot install fglrx driver otherwise my display resolution is stuck to 1024x768 but I cannot stay with the default driver because laptop is boiling (overheating problem)

In LM13 I was able to install the proprietary driver very easily and resolution was prefect.
But of course LM13 couldn't support MTP so I couldn't connect my new smartphone (only MTP mode available).

I'm wondering why I don't go back to windows7...
:cry:
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

In LM13 I was able to install the proprietary driver very easily and resolution was prefect.
That's because AMD stopped supporting their HD 2x/3x/4x-series cards after Mint13 was released. More recent Mint releases use an X-server version that is incompatible with that needed by the AMD restricted drivers.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”