I need help with this.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maskiepop

I need help with this.

Post by maskiepop »

I was doing so well ... until.

I have downloaded linuxmint 13 xfce; I installed it on my usb 3.0 ext hd and was actually well on my way to getting the kind of system I like. I have installed most of the the apps I wanted, and by and large, they were all working well.

Then I clicked on update manager to bring in the rest of the software updates. The whole process to update the software took almost twelve hours. Eventually I cancelled it.

I then ran the software update again without going through the update manager. I went commandline because I was beginning to suspect that updates via the software center and the update manager were not exactly working as well as they should: I've been having problems with them. Synaptic seems ok, though.

The software updates via commandline completed successfully. It still took a long time -- seven hours. On reboot however, I am confronted with just the wallpaper. The panel, the icons have all disappeared from view.

I think the system is still intact and working because I can invoke gnome-do, look around, and invoke apps such as firefox. My main problem is that the panel and all the icons have disappeared from view.

I'd rather not go back and re-install . How can I get my desktop looking "normal" again?

Thx

m
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: I need help with this.

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

You could try creating new configuration files in your home folder.

1. Switch to console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and log in using your regular username and password
2. Stop your session so new config files cannot be made (sudo service mdm stop); enter password when asked
3. Rename your .config folder to something else (mv .config .config-old)
4. Now restart your session (sudo service mdm start)

The problem should be fixed.
Tell us how it goes.
maskiepop

Re: I need help with this.

Post by maskiepop »

Thx for your reply.

I decided on a different course of action instead. My google search came up with some rather poor reviews of the LM 15 xfce desktop. Sorry I forgot to note down the urls, otherwise I would have posted them here. The advice by those who gave the LM xfce a thumbs down is to use the LM Cinnammon instead. I did that; LM 15 Cin does look good and is working well.

Thx again

m

Return to “Beginner Questions”