No wifi after refreshing Cinnamon.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McAwesome

No wifi after refreshing Cinnamon.

Post by McAwesome »

I have had linux mint 14 for a few days now, but I just changed my one panel, to two. But after I restarted cinnamon to apply the changes, the wifi doesn't work. It says I'm in airplane mode (which I switch out of), and the wifi switch is stuck on off.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xtreme

Re: No wifi after refreshing Cinnamon.

Post by xtreme »

Hi there, I understand the frustration of not being able to use your Wi-Fi. It happens. I've had this problem in the past, but I resolved it using the method described below.

Open up a terminal and do:

Code: Select all

rfkill list all
If it yields something like:

1: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft Blocked: yes
Hard Blocked: yes
2: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard Blocked: no
3: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft Blocked: no
Hard Blocked: Yes

then it means your Wi-Fi is blocked.

If that's the case, do:

Code: Select all

sudo rfkill unblock all
It worked for me. I hope this helps. :)
McAwesome

Post by McAwesome »

I just tried and it gave me

0: brcmwl-0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
When I did the second command, it asked for my password like it should... but it didn't let me type my password. So frustrating!
judeywudey

airplane mode stuck on suddenly - total newbie!

Post by judeywudey »

Hello forum
This is my first post and i am a TOTAL newbie (although total fan) of Linux... in fact this is the first time i have tried to tweek my HP envy latop (thanks mark & wayne who usually do it! o the shame). I have been using this laptop running Linux Mint 14 (?) from Windows for 6 months with no major problems. Suddenly the wifi does not work - and i get a notice on restarting/ booting up that i have been disconnected. The router is working fine with other machines and was working on this laptop just this week without a problem. When i go into the wireless settings the airport mode button is on (as in other posts) and while i can slide it to off it does not release the wireless button to be turned to on... Yes! frustrating!

I have looked at other posts and followed the advice re. typing rfkill unblock all into the terminal (woah first time ever using the terminal). I am asked for the password but nothing happens when i respond with it. I have rebooted and still the airport mode is on. I think it is the airportmode override as - the same as other posts when i run rfkill i get this info

Hp-wifi Wireless LAN
Softblocked: no
Hardblocked: yes

hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Softblocked: no
Hardblocked: Yes

brcmwl-0: Wireless LAN & hci0: Bluetooth are neither soft or hard blocked
As with another user when asked for my password I could not type it in....anyone able to help? I would really appreciate it - but will need really straightforward instructions!! With thanks
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Since this is your first post you might not know this. When you run a command in terminal with sudo it will ask for your password but not show anything when you type it. Just type in your password and hit enter.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
judeywudey

Post by judeywudey »

Thanks for the password info... although when i put in my password the prompt comes back with my system name:
judeywoo@judeywoo ~ $
which looks like it is asking me to start again. I checked the password & also the rfkill list and the wifi wireless LAN is still Hard blocked.
ALL advice welcomed... this is all new territory :shock:. Many thanks jude
judeywudey

Post by judeywudey »

ok once i rebooted the laptop i went into Settings then Network and while i can slide the Aeroplane Mode switch across to Off (which i couldn't do before) and it will stay I can't slide the Wireless switch to ON.... any ideas? The Options button is visible but i can't open it either. BUT If i close the Network box and open it again the settings return to Aeroplane Mode and the Wireless Setting is back to Off.... answers anyone?!

Return to “Beginner Questions”