LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nelson777
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Post by nelson777 »

My LMDE machine won't boot, even in Recovery Mode. That happend after I tried to install fglrx drivers, didn't word, then I purged the driver and reboot. After that it frezes after a while booting. CTR-ALT-F1~9 doesn't work, and not even SysRq responds. I'tried to put quiet splash nomodeset on grub, but also didn't work. Any idea what I can do besides reinstalling ? Any relevant grub parameters ?

Thanks,
-Nelson
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nelson777
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Post by nelson777 »

More info: after I login with recovery mode using kernel 3.2, I was able to run sgfxi script. It installed a driver that made LDME boot ok, direct rendering on, but just for kernel 3.2. The new kernel 3.10, still locks if I try to boot it with this driver.
My board is an old ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.

-Nelson
cwsnyder

Re: LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Post by cwsnyder »

It sounds like your installation of the proprietary drivers removed the open source driver which is the normal default install in LMDE.

You might try booting with your install disk in Live mode, if you have an installation medium with the 3.10 kernel, then chroot into your LMDE installation and installing the radeon driver with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install radeon 
Log out and reboot to see if it works.

Return to “LMDE Archive”