mint thinks cpu is smaller than it is

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chriss2.0

mint thinks cpu is smaller than it is

Post by chriss2.0 »

I could be Wrong, i have just installed "Age of Empires" (via wine) and after install, when i try to run i get a msg saying that my prosseser is only 1.3GHZ :? so i cant play.

however my laptops prosseser is a duel core 1.8GHZ why does it think its smaller?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mint thinks cpu is smaller than it is

Post by RobertLM78 »

Chris -

Try typing

Code: Select all

inxi -C
into a terminal and post the results. If it is Mint that is mis-identifying the processor, then this will show it.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
chriss2.0

Post by chriss2.0 »

RobertLM78 wrote:Chris -

Try typing

inxi -C
into a terminal and post the results. If it is Mint that is mis-identifying the processor, then this will show it.
"CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 (-MCP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm)
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz"

got the make right but it runs at 1.90GHZ according to the windows partition (duel boot)

even so that still thats more than 1.3GHZ so why is it underclocking my cpu and how do i fix it?
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Pretty sure it's just showing what cpu currently running at -- not capacity. Will ramp up when needed.

Run this instead and look at the capacity:

sudo lshw -C cpu
(Will appear to pause for a few seconds before displaying output.)
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

I had a similar problem with a new build. Couldn't figure out why it seemed slower than the old machine. The BIOS was throttling the CPU to half-speed all the time. Mint would report the speed as this as well when I did benchmarking. When I unleased it, everything got really fast.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

hpmc13 wrote:When I unleased it, everything got really fast.
I'm sorry but that recommended fix isn't vague enough. Could you have another go, please?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tom99

Post by tom99 »

My guess is that the application is running its own benchmark and finding the performance is equal to 1.3 GHz. That application is running through the wine emulation and you are probably getting a performance drop from wine.

Wine usually gives me a performance drop, depending on the brand. =-}
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

What gives "inxi -S" ?
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

This is likely your solution: CPU Frequency Scaling

Your system is set to "On Demand". Change to "Performance" should solve issue I would imagine. Note: will likely use laptop battery up quicker and increase temperature -- so probably want to make change only when needed for Wine -- assuming this solves the problem. (I have no experience with Wine, so just guessing this is problem.)

To find more info if needed: Linux Beginner Search Engine

Return to “Beginner Questions”