how do I turn off migration? SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

how do I turn off migration? SOLVED

Post by wilbobob »

I have LM13 Mate in both 32bit and 64 bit versions on my PC. I put the 32 bit version on when I was having problems rooting and upgrading my phone, and it worked well) Recently I had to reinstall the 32 bit and accepted the offer to migrate settings from the 64bit version. That worked well too, but unfortunately it keeps on migrating. I'd like different desktop backgrounds on the two versions, but when I change one it also changes the other. I'd like to turn the migration off, but can't find a way to do this in the menu's or so far in the forums. Any ideas?

Edit - I should have said that both versions access the same home folder. Significant?
Also if necessary I'll reinstall the 32 bit without accepting the offer to migrate.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Go Steady, but keep going
cwsnyder

Re: how do I turn off migration?

Post by cwsnyder »

Yes, it does matter that they share the same /home/<username> folder. You at least need to use different log in names. Where do you think your settings are stored? They are stored in invisible folders on the /home/<username> folder, for most settings, not in the / folder and sub-folders.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

Thanks cw, I had suspected as much.
Perhaps I should have asked 'How do 32bit and 64bit systems have separate desktops when the migrate option is not selected a installation' and is it possible to replicate that separation without re-installing?
It takes at least one post to find out how to phrase a question
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

If you want 2 separate Linux installations sharing the same /home partition for easy backup and restore the procedure in outline is this:
  • Install your first Linux with separate /, swap, and /home partitions at a minimum. Other partitions are to your taste and experience.
  • Create a user name for that installation, possibly one which acknowledges that it points to the first installation. Enter your password, etc. and finish the installation.
  • Begin to install your second Linux distribution. Create a separate / partition in the remaining space on your drive. Designate your existing swap and /home partitions to be used as designated as the same on your second installation, but tell your installer not to format these partitions as part of the installation, while formatting the / partition.
  • Create a second user name different from the first to reserve a separate space for settings/DE/data which would be kept separate, entering password, etc. to finish the installation.
  • If desired, create symbolic links between the (visible) folders between the two users so that they are effectively one user for everything except creating new folders inside their /home/<username>/ folder and their DE, applications and settings. You will have to install applications for the two installations separately. If they become out of sync, you can use the terminal command dpkg -l (lower case L) to list the packages from the installation you are presently signed in to the same package list from your other distro.
  • This will not replicate your settings between the installations, but that is the problem you found which make you post here. Replicating the settings can get you into trouble.
Using this method, you could, for example have MATE on your 32-bit installation and Windowmaker on your 64-bit installation with separate menus, backgrounds, etc. but still share the same documents, download folder, pictures, music, etc.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

Thanks cw
The procedure you outline is exactly what I did first time round, except I used same username and password for both installations. It worked OK. Mint protected me from myself. From your post I take away the advice that
1 I can't get from where I am to where I'd like to be without re-installing one of the systems
2 When I reinstall I'll be careful to not accept the offer to migrate settings.

Marked as solved

Return to “Beginner Questions”