[solved] cinnamon crash, indicator-datetime-settings leak

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Colbey

[solved] cinnamon crash, indicator-datetime-settings leak

Post by Colbey »

So I haven't changed anything significant in my system lately (Mint 15, 64-bit, Cinnamon), but I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of my hard drive thrashing. There were a ton of error messages, most of which I was too tired to read, and my system was pretty unresponsive, so I powered off.

Now, today, when I boot, I see the GUI login screen as usual, but then nothing works right. I get popups saying that Cinnamon has crashed and is running in fallback mode; indicating that I wish to restart cinnamon does nothing but bring back that prompt. I make it in anyway (to a system that looks nothing like cinnamon, with a menu bar at both the top and bottom of my screen), and my system is still relatively unresponsive. I notice that 2 processes, indicator-datetime-settings and gnome-settings-daemon, are both taking up most of my CPU, and are both using up increasing amounts of memory. Killing the processes just causes them to respawn. (Currently they're together taking up 4 GB of memory, having last been killed 6 minutes ago.) This problem has survived across multiple reboots.

The only thing that changed recently that I can think of is that Daylight Saving Time just ended in the US overnight last night; is there a chance that's related? I also installed stunnel and pan yesterday, but everything worked fine for hours after that.

I'm happy to look at logs or anything to help troubleshoot this, but really I don't even know where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Colbey

Re: cinnamon crashing, indicator-datetime-settings leaking

Post by Colbey »

Here's syslog from overnight when the problem presumably started:

Code: Select all

Nov  3 04:05:06 chesed CRON[30934]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Nov  3 04:15:07 chesed CRON[30945]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Nov  3 04:17:05 chesed CRON[31019]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov  3 04:18:26 chesed kernel: [2708352.517231] gnome-panel[30583]: segfault at 7ff02c048a00 ip 00007ff02c048a00 sp 00007ffff72adf48 err
or 15
Nov  3 04:19:01 chesed gnome-session[2580]: WARNING: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' killed by signal 15
Nov  3 04:19:01 chesed gnome-session[2580]: WARNING: App 'cinnamon.desktop' respawning too quickly
Nov  3 04:19:02 chesed gnome-session[2580]: dconf-CRITICAL: unable to create file '/home/josh/.cache/dconf/user': Permission denied.  dc
onf will not work properly.
Nov  3 04:19:07 chesed gnome-session[2580]: WARNING: App 'cinnamon.desktop' respawning too quickly
Nov  3 04:19:07 chesed gnome-session[2580]: dconf-CRITICAL: unable to create file '/home/josh/.cache/dconf/user': Permission denied.  dc
onf will not work properly.
Nov  3 04:19:08 chesed gnome-session[2580]: WARNING: App 'cinnamon.desktop' respawning too quickly
Nov  3 04:19:08 chesed gnome-session[2580]: dconf-CRITICAL: unable to create file '/home/josh/.cache/dconf/user': Permission denied.  dconf will not work properly.
Nov  3 04:19:30 chesed dbus[1218]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' (using servicehelper)
Nov  3 04:19:33 chesed dbus[1218]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
Now there's a LOT of this in syslog:

Code: Select all

Nov  3 08:26:35 chesed gnome-session[2581]: dconf-CRITICAL: unable to create file '/home/josh/.cache/dconf/user': Permission denied.  dconf will not work properly.
Nov  3 08:27:06  gnome-session[2581]: last message repeated 109 times
Nov  3 08:28:07  gnome-session[2581]: last message repeated 224 times
Nov  3 08:29:08  gnome-session[2581]: last message repeated 128 times
Nov  3 08:30:10  gnome-session[2581]: last message repeated 142 times
Nov  3 08:30:44  gnome-session[2581]: last message repeated 73 times
Colbey

Re: cinnamon crashing, indicator-datetime-settings leaking

Post by Colbey »

My system is all better now. The solution seems to be to remove the offending file (i.e. ~/.cache/dconf/user), and allow it to be re-created by the correct user/group. If the problem persisted, the next thing I would've tried is the solution at http://gawainlynch.com/gnome-shell-crashes-after-su/ . I don't remember explicitly calling su, but this nonetheless seems to be a very similar problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”