[SOLVED] Kernel

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kromaz
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Kernel

Post by kromaz »

Hello,
Is it always good practice to update the kernel after a fresh install? I updated mine by doing the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
Did I do this correct, why don't the update manager do this automatically? This is what I ended up with Linux 3.2.0-55-generic (i686). Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera Xfce
Debian 11.6 Bullseye Xfce
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Kernel

Post by xenopeek »

In Update Manager's Edit > Preferences menu you can enable the unsafe level 4 and 5 upgrades, if you so desire and feel comfortable enough resolving any issues from a new kernel (like not being able to boot). It's not enabled by default to avoid causing such issues for users new to Linux. Some more thoughts (not official Linux Mint position on this): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=104447#p590569
kromaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kromaz »

Many thanks for the link to that topic xenopeek. Now I have a better understanding (pros and cons) updating the kernel. One more quick question. The method I use to update, does it keep a backup of the old kernel?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

AFAIK, yes the old kernel will not be removed and it will still be available to boot as a selection in the GRUB boot menu. You can check either in your package manager what other kernel versions are left installed, or have a peek in /boot for the files there.
kromaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kromaz »

xenopeek wrote:AFAIK, yes the old kernel will not be removed and it will still be available to boot as a selection in the GRUB boot menu. You can check either in your package manager what other kernel versions are left installed, or have a peek in /boot for the files there.
Awesome! Glad to know I can always rollback the kernel. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”