[Solved] DVD Player Not Always Working

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jr121705

[Solved] DVD Player Not Always Working

Post by jr121705 »

I am using a "TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB" DVD player in my computer. I am having some problems with it and I am not sure what is wrong. The problem is that sometimes when I eject a CD and insert a new one the computer thinks that the drive is empty. If I put in a blank CD and use K3b to burn a new CD, then it works. But once I remove the CD and insert another one and try to play it it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if it is a CD or DVD, the computer will not recognize them. I end up having to restart the computer to get the CD to show up on the computer. What can be causing this problem? Do I have a driver problem?

I am also having a problem with startpar and plymouth in case these are related problems. See my post here if they are:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=147705
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jr121705

Re: DVD Player Not Always Working

Post by jr121705 »

I am still having problems and would appreciate someone to answer it. I am also having trouble on my laptop using LMDE Mate instead of Cinnamon. This makes me think that it is a problem with LMDE not my computer. It seems like the only way to get a CD to get recognized by my computer is to restart the computer. If I eject the CD and put in a new one, I can't get it to show up in unless I restart the whole computer. Any ideas what is going on here?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I believe it depend on if program is doing its own polling or depending on a service of the DE (I see some downgrading gvfs :? )

I have success (in a mate 64 install) installing 'udisks-glue' package (in repos) and stick in autostart (its a daemon)

Hopes Help
J.Jay

P.S. Not LMDE specific seeing in most debian distro and derivative based on testing/jessie/sid
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

jjaythomas wrote:I believe it depend on if program is doing its own polling or depending on a service of the DE (I see some downgrading gvfs :? )

I have success (in a mate 64 install) installing 'udisks-glue' package (in repos) and stick in autostart (its a daemon)

Hopes Help
J.Jay

P.S. Not LMDE specific seeing in most debian distro and derivative based on testing/jessie/sid

Thanks for your response. I installed 'udisks-glue' but what do I do with it next? How do I put it in auto start as you mentioned? I am still fairly new to Linux and not sure what to do next.
jjaythomas

Re: [Solved] DVD Player Not Always Working

Post by jjaythomas »

I would 1st test.

Get daemon running. hit alt-F2, for command type 'udisks-glue' (without qoute) thats it. Then try USB/CD/DVDs ect.
If works for you
in control center or setting manager (Xfce :D ) click the one called startup apps (in Xfce its session and startup). click to add in name call it anything (I call mount helper) for comand/app just type 'udisks-glue' (again no quote). Reboot should run that daemon at start!

J.Jay

Return to “LMDE Archive”