hdmi audio with amd ati radeon hd6950 graphics card

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaycle

hdmi audio with amd ati radeon hd6950 graphics card

Post by jaycle »

I just downloaded Linux Mint 15 64 bit to my HDD and the sound doesn't work. I have the hdmi cable connecting the built-in monitor speakers to a AMD ATI Radeon HD 6950 graphics card. In the sound settings output tab, the only option in the list for the 'play sound through' box is 'Analog Output Built-in Audio'. That means it doesn't even recognize the graphics card I have installed. In Software Manager, I did a search for 'amd' and there are several packages that appear to be for the Catalyst Control Center. I'm downloading this one titled 'fglrx-amdcccle'
Version: 2:9.010-0ubuntu3
Size: 90MB to download, 267MB of disk space required
Impact on packages: fglrx (installed), libc6-i386 (installed), lib32gcc1 (installed), fglrx-amdcccle (installed)

But, under preferences, driver manager, AMD nee ATI: Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950] is listed with 3 available drivers: 1) xserver-xorg-video-ati (recommended), 2) fglrx Version 2:9.010-0ubuntu3, and 3) fglrx-updates Version 2:9.012-0ubuntu1.

So, I switched drivers to the recommended one.

Did I do everything correct. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
soko

Re: hdmi audio with amd ati radeon hd6950 graphics card

Post by soko »

I had the same problem when I got my multimedia PC setup. From all the research I managed to do online, it's a problem with the proprietary driver issues with ATi cards, and as such, it's very difficult nigh impossible to get the sound going out your HDMI. I've resorted to running a fiberoptic cable to my stereo and routing my sound through there. Might want to try that if you can, until at least a proper driver comes out for the ATi grafx cards.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

jaycle,

If you reverted back to the radeon driver try adding radeon.audio=1 to the kernel command line in grub.

There were changes made to xorg-video-ati for handling audio with kernel versions > 3.3. Mint 15 is at 3.8.

Don't add this if you're still using fglrx.

Good luck :wink:
soko

Post by soko »

FYI just to let you guys know.. seems like ATI just released a driver set on the 19th of December 13. Will let you know if that solved my HDMI issue, but in any case might be worth for you to try it.
mynot

Post by mynot »

I will be interested in your update soko as I have same issues with hdmi sound and HD7770 Card.
Although mine was working and then I had a Linux Mint update and it all disappeared.
soko

Post by soko »

mynot wrote:I will be interested in your update soko as I have same issues with hdmi sound and HD7770 Card.
Although mine was working and then I had a Linux Mint update and it all disappeared.
I've updated the driver.. was a PITA because I couldn't figure out how to make it run from the command line and it wouldn't let me completely remove the old drivers. Finally got it to work with the --force syntax, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have any audio drivers on it. I don't even get the option to set the HDMI as an audio output anymore, and aplay -l doesn't list HDMI as a device. I do have the syntax to enable the ati audio=1 in the grub file. So not quite sure what's up with it now. :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”