Lenovo Ideapad Z580 intermittent boot issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grimwit

Lenovo Ideapad Z580 intermittent boot issues

Post by grimwit »

I've been using Mint (Linux Mint 1 Olivia (x86-64)) on my Lenovo Ideapd (Z580) for a few months now. Firstly I'll say what a welcome replaement it is for Windows. Everything works well, VNC, VMWare, MySQL, Apache, Cacti, extended desktop on dual monitors, all excellent.

I do have one annoying problem I'm hoping someone here can help with. The machine sometimes won't boot up. It's random occurance, it can start fine 3 or 4 times in a row and then the next 2 times decide not to start, requiring that I turn off the machine, and turn it on again, once I do this I'm presented with the GRUB screen listing the following:

Linux Mint 64-bit, 3.8.0-19-generic (dev/sda2)
Linux Mint 64-bit, 3.8.0-19-generic Recovery Mode (dev/sda2)
System Setup

Choosing either of the first 2 options doesn't necessarily mean it will start, I may sometimes have to repeat the process of turning off and back on again.

Here's an overview of the hardware:
Intel Core i7-3520M 2.90 GHz, 8GB Memory, 1TB HD, Graphics card: Intel 3rd gen Graphics Controller, also NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

If anyone is able to help troubleshoot this issue I would greatly appreciate it. I can provide more information as required. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cessanfrancisco

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Z580 intermittent boot issues

Post by cessanfrancisco »

I have the same issue.

Return to “Installation & Boot”