Which Steam games would like to play on Linux?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Re: Which Steam games would like to play on Linux?

Post by Orbmiser »

I'd be happy with older games ported over.
And don't know their state running in wine.
As dual boot so running in wine seems kind of a hack and redundant.

Splinter Cell series - Hard to find Solo FPS story lines. Everyone wants to online multi-player arena which I don't/like to do.
Half Life2 - Which just became available
Far Cry series - Would be fun tho more a blast everything with some figuring out strategy.
Dues Ex series - Unique tho haven't played it all.
Doom 3 - Loved it scared the hell out of me starting into the creepy genre.
Resident Evil - Same would welcome of that genre.
Max Payne series - Was fun to play great story play and atmosphere.

Puzzle solving take your time over longer play type games.
7th Guest,Shiver,Myst,Riven,etc...

As even with Spinter Cell love the extra options of not always just mindless blasting away.
Games that require some thought,some solving and failing that then Blasting away! :P
Booman

Post by Booman »

Most of those are older Direct X 9 games and I can almost guarantee they will run in Wine.
But since you are still using Windows as I am also, no biggie. But if the day comes when you are going to ditch Windows completely, don't get rid of those games.
Doom 3 has a Linux binary you can install, then copy the PAK files and you are playing natively.
Not sure about Dues Ex, Splinter Cell, Resident Evil and Max Payne?
Max Payne was GREAT, specially the 2nd one! I got a little tired of all the swearing, but I loved the burning building part where you had to escape.. pretty stinking fun!!!
mrshane

Post by mrshane »

My gaming on Linux has been nothing but pleasant. Project 64 runs N64 flawless, Epsxe runs Playstation 1 games perfect. The Grand Theft Auto series up to San Andreas works great, I have not tested VI yet. And I'm going to test PCSX2 which is a Playstation 2 emulator out soon to see if that runs good. I havent been able to get the native Linux version working so testing will be with the Windows version through Wine/PlayonLinux. You might call me an Old School gamer but most games that are somewhat not as modern as today are really classics and I enjoy them. Resident Evil is another one Im sure will work, assasins creed may also work too. And I've been meaning to try Scarface: the world is yours. I just got a new laptop not to long ago and was not impressed with Windows so I'm back to Mint. I got much testing to do on games but so for I've had great results.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Oooh, Project 64 huh? I used to run that in Windows, never thought about using console emulators in Linux too... good idea! thanks!

By the way, Assassin's Creed 1 is running GREAT in Linux. I actually made a step-by-step guide on installing it with PlayOnLinux: [url=http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/assassins-creed-guide.140/]Assassin's Creed Guide[/url]
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

For anyone that plays Football Manager it's now native to Linux through Steam, can't wait until payday now!
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

gibbs1984 wrote:For anyone that plays Football Manager it's now native to Linux through Steam, can't wait until payday now!
I already got it. I pre-ordered it about a week ago. Bought it retail though as I wanted a case in my bookshelf with Tux on it. Might not have been worth the extra ~3 euros for retail instead of just getting the code by email, but what the hell.
It runs great, except a little bit of stuttering sometimes during the 3D matches, but my crappy CPU might be the problem.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

gemini89 wrote:
gibbs1984 wrote:For anyone that plays Football Manager it's now native to Linux through Steam, can't wait until payday now!
I already got it. I pre-ordered it about a week ago. Bought it retail though as I wanted a case in my bookshelf with Tux on it. Might not have been worth the extra ~3 euros for retail instead of just getting the code by email, but what the hell.
It runs great, except a little bit of stuttering sometimes during the 3D matches, but my crappy CPU might be the problem.
That's good to know, how easy was it to setup? Do you just get a .deb file?

I was thinking about getting a hardcopy purely because I can get it cheaper here but was wondering how they put the file on the disk, so if it's a .deb then that'll be easy to install.

Any other problems like changing to windowed mode or anything?
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

gibbs1984 wrote:That's good to know, how easy was it to setup? Do you just get a .deb file?

I was thinking about getting a hardcopy purely because I can get it cheaper here but was wondering how they put the file on the disk, so if it's a .deb then that'll be easy to install.

Any other problems like changing to windowed mode or anything?
Well I just entered the key on Steam, so I don´t know how to install it from the dvd disk. I don´t even have a dvd/cd rom on my desktop. But I suppose I could check it out on my ultrabook, I actually got a bit curious now when you asked.

So far I haven´t noticed anything, except that the game is really difficult. But hopefully I´ll get better soon. Tabbing out of the Steam version works great,

Edit: I´ve checked the dvd now and there´s no .deb files or anything similar as far as I can see. There are readme´s though. Quote from the English readme.txt
2. Installing This Software
------------------------------------------------

Windows / Mac OS X
-------------------
Insert the Football Manager™ 2014 disc into your DVD drive and wait for the autoplay program to begin.
From here, follow the simple on-screen steps to install the game.

Linux
------
Open a web browser to http://store.steampowered.com/, and click the "Install Steam" link.
Once installed, run Steam and select Games->Activate a Product on Steam, then enter the CD key supplied.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Thats funny, why even bother with a DVD if there is nothing on it and a note saying "download the game from the internet"?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Ah, thanks for the reply.

Might aswell get a hardcopy then as it's a lot cheaper and it downloads through Steam anyway :D
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

Booman wrote:Thats funny, why even bother with a DVD if there is nothing on it and a note saying "download the game from the internet"?
Well I guess it´s because there´s still installation files on it for Windows and Mac. But I suspect that Windows and Mac users still need to download some parts of the game as it states on the front "Requires Internet connection to install."

gibbs1984 wrote:Ah, thanks for the reply.

Might aswell get a hardcopy then as it's a lot cheaper and it downloads through Steam anyway :D
"

No problem. :)
Booman

Post by Booman »

You are right, even when I install Skyrim from the DVD, there is still some updates that get installed later on.
But the initial installation is much quicker from DVD than downloading the ENTIRE game.
Good point...
dogsolitude_uk

Post by dogsolitude_uk »

Skyrim :)

I actually sent Bethesda an email requesting a Linux port. I tend to be a bit of a PITA about bothering publishers to port games to Linux, and basically put it to them that Windows was becoming rather unpopular thanks to the Windows 8 GUI and that Steam was (at the time) due to be released on Linux. Two years down the line though I doubt it's going to happen!

Still, I'm really pleased that a lot of Indie publishers are supporting Linux. My favourite games are actually things like Eschalon, Darwinia, Braid etc. and Steam has a fantastic selection.

Also Desura. We must never forget Desura. It's DRM free. :)
Booman

Post by Booman »

I love Desura. Even if they don't have my favorite games.
Its a great place to download a lot of free games or in-development games.
And its totally DRM free. Copy, paste, do whatever you want with the game files.
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

I want: Street Fighter, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, GTA, KOF, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, SkullGirls, Bioshock..

Just Street Fighter would be enough for my to never use Windows again. :mrgreen:
Booman

Post by Booman »

I would love to see the whole Crysis franchise and Battlefield franchise in Linux.
I know it would never happen, but I would love it!
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

Booman wrote:I would love to see the whole Crysis franchise and Battlefield franchise in Linux.
I know it would never happen, but I would love it!
Well one should never say never.

[url]http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/lars-gustavsson-of-dice-creators-of-battlefield-want-to-get-into-linux.2561[/url]

But I agree though, it is highly unlikely at the moment. But if SteamOS succeeds I can´t see a reason why it would´t happen.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Don't get me too excited because I don't want my hopes crushed to bits.

Return to “Gaming”