Network Install Brother MFC-7360N

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lakona

Network Install Brother MFC-7360N

Post by lakona »

Here is the procedure I followed for installing a Brother MFC-7360N Laser
Printer over Ethernet.

Assuming the printer is plugged in, powered on and connected to the network:

1. Download Drivers from Brother and Install
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... #MFC-7360N
(.deb files should open with Gdebi package installer, if not run
this command in the directory where you have the .deb downloaded)

Code: Select all

dpkg -i (file here)

2. Get the host name of the printer:

avahi-resolve-host-name -a (ip address of printer)
[/size]I got an error "Unable to locate printer (my brother printer)", so
I needed to get the host name to success with the installation

3. Open the CUPS web interface in your browser (I used Firefox):

localhost:631
4. Add a local printer and give it the connection:

lpd://hostname/queue
With the hostname you got from step 2.

5. Select Brother as your printer model and use the MFC-7360N driver that is
at the bottom of the mfc-... portion of the driver list (below higher and lower numbered printer models).

Should be up and running at this point.
Print a test page to make sure it's working.)
[/size]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Network Install Brother MFC-7360N

Post by Webtest »

Hey! This is GREAT! Thank you "lakona"!

We have a Brother MFC-7360N attached to our LAN via WiFi ... fixed IP Address 192.168.1.19 ... that we currently use with a desktop and a laptop under XP. Since we use Mint LiveUSB for all our Internet wanderings, it sure would be nice to at least make it possible to have occasional printer access under Mint (usually v15, 32-bit Mate). I easily completed steps 1 through 3:

sudo -i
# cd to path for downloaded drivers)
cd /media/mint/linux-ext2/ (etc.)
dpkg -i mfc7360nlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb
dpkg -i cupswrapperMFC7360N-2.0.4-2.i386.deb
avahi-resolve-host-name -a 192.168.1.19    >    192.168.1.19  BRN001BA99EEABB.local
firefox
Here I came to an impasse in step 4 when I tried to "Add Printer" ... first I opened Firefox from the menu (user mint), but I also tried opening a superuser session of Firefox from the terminal session ... both popped up:
A username and password are being requested by http://localhost:631. The site says: "CUPS"
User Name: ???
Password: ???

I have no clue as to what to enter here ??? Passwords are not needed in the LiveUSB system. BUT ... I flailed around in the CUPS web interface and finally clicked "Manage Printers", and lo and behold, I found this:

Que Name  Description  Location  Make & Model                Status
!!!   MFC7360N	MFC7360N	    ---    Brother MFC7360N for CUPS	Idle
So, the printer is obviously known to the system and has a queue assignment! I then went to Control Panel > Printers and selected the MFC7360N in the printer window and then Properties. Then I did Print Test Page, but that was the end of my success. Back in the Printers window, I did Printer > View Print Queue which showed Test Page in the queue with "Time submitted" climbing, but the printer is not doing anything. The time is now up to 31 minutes with no page. Is this because the "lpd://BRN001BA99EEABB.local/queue" is still needed by CUPS? Is this a samba problem? Samba is NOT installed in Mint 15.

I am SOOOOOO close (I hope!) ... how can I get the printer to accept the job from the queue???

Thank you for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance with this objective ...
Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
lakona

Post by lakona »

Webtest wrote:
User Name: ???
Password: ???

I have no clue as to what to enter here ??? Passwords are not needed in the LiveUSB system.

Art in Carlisle, PA USA
Hi Art,

Yeah I think the liveCDs have a root password - which is the password the I believe CUPS is looking for, although you can configure your user to priviledges for CUPS too. Easiest thing to do would be to set the password for root. The syntax for the command is:

passwd [user]
Where user is the username of the user whose password you want to change. In your case you can just use:

sudo passwd
sudo will elevate your user privlidges to do the password reset and, of course, passwd will preform the reset. Because there is no second argument for user the passwd program will assume the user root, which is the ultimate superuser, or administrator if you like.

At the CUPS browser prompt:
Username: root
Password: the password you set for root.

Now you should be able to administer the printing system and set up the queue name.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Thanks again lakona ...
I found some great information on the CUPS command line interface
[url]http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1451/gllgm.html[/url]
[url]http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/CUPS_Command.html[/url]
and was able to get a test page printed without any login by adding the printer in a terminal session with:

sudo -i
lpadmin -p MFC7360N -v lpd://BRN001BA99EEABB.local/queue -E
Now the problem is to put this in a script. This command will NOT run when prefixed with "sudo", for one thing, because of the ":" character. I tried escaping it (\:), but the command still doesn't run properly. So the remaining question now is how to script the lpadmin command???

# This does NOT work:
sudo lpadmin -p MFC7360N -v lpd://BRN001BA99EEABB.local/queue -E
Many sincere thanks for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance in this (now frustrating) task. I've been on it for about 7 hours now.

Art in Carlisle, PA USA

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
lakona

Post by lakona »

Why not just connect to the CUPS Web interface to setup the printer?
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Hello lakona ...
Why not just connect to the CUPS Web interface to setup the printer?
Short answer? It would be "too easy" if it could run from a script! AND, my wife has to be able to use it on the laptop, and remember, this is a LiveUSB system with NO persistant storage (= NO malware worries!), except for a second EXT2 formatted USB stick with some scripted start up stuff - remove the HDD and driver, remove the "install" icon from the desktop, etc. - which, when finished, dismounts itself and is removed from the system.

The plot thickens! The problem is NOT "sudo". It turns out that the "lpadmin" command does NOT have to be run as superuser! It can be run as user mint. If I run the command line from a script (with or without the sudo prefix) and then print a LibreOffice page, it just stays stuck in the queue ... but then if I cut and paste the same exact command into a user mint terminal session, the job already in the queue then prints out in just a few seconds!

lpadmin -p MFC7360N -v lpd://BRN001BA99EEABB.local/queue -E
So, evidently the real problem is that somehow the command never actually executes from the script. I think I am going to restart this discussion in another post.

Thanks for your great post to get me started in this ... I'll make sure you get a copy of the results of my efforts.
Art in Carlisle, PA USA

Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

I have opened a new thread to continue debugging this topic:

[url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=149450]CUPS "add printer" cmd won't run from script? What's wrong?[/url]

Many thanks to lakona for his "HowTo" ...
Art in Carlisle, PA USA

Return to “Printers & Scanners”