Please update your system - dangerous security flaw

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Ambystoma

Re: Please update your system - dangerous security flaw

Post by Ambystoma »

I got an email warning from my uni's ITS office today, but sort of blew it off 'til I saw it here on the forums. :oops: Everything worked fine for me on Daryna using mintupdate. All the updates showed up and were installed. Thanks for the heads up. :)
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

OK, I checked everything and I'm pretty sure I'm well upgraded. But I wanted to direct a question to Husse.

I found this article from a Metafilter thread on this very topic, and I'm curious to know, should we be following the procedures listed in the LiveJournal article as well?

Also, is there something else we need to do if we feel we've been breached before installing the updates, or will installing the updates be enough? I ask because the link you provided advises to not only install the updates but to also "regenerate private keys". I have no idea what this means. Can anyone explain?
Last edited by red-e-made on Sat May 17, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you updated and don't have any keys then you're ok
I did not find any here in my system
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote:If you updated and don't have any keys then you're ok
I did not find any here in my system
Sorry, I don't know what "keys" means in this context. Or maybe I do, by a different name. Can you elaborate?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Install the latest mintUpdate - it should fix the "do not find" problem
keys in this connection is what's used in a ssl connection with your bank or so. But I think the keys are generated by the bank server

Return to “Releases & Announcements”